(FIXED) Multiline codec behaves differently in 5.x and 6.x

NOTE: I managed to figure out the problem, and it had nothing to do with Logstash. It was a problem with my text editor and how it saves files, which caused Logstash to process the same lines multiple times. In my case I was using WebStorm, but the same problem would be around with other JetBrains IDEs (PhpStorm, PyCharm, IntelliJ, ...). Switched to a good old text editor and everything worked. D'oh!

I have the following simple pipeline configuration for handling Java stack traces, being multiline events.

input {
    file {
        path => "/Users/Andy/Desktop/logstash-5.6.3/java_errors.log"
        start_position => "beginning"

codec => multiline {
            pattern => "^(\s+|\t)|(Caused by:)"
            what => "previous"
            auto_flush_interval => 5
        }
    }
}

output {
	stdout {
		codec => rubydebug
    }
}

And I have the following test file, which is the one that is referenced within the file input.

Sep 9, 2017 6:14:31 AM ERROR com.example.blog.service.PostServiceImpl: Post Not Found (ID: 1)
	at com.amazonaws.auth.AbstractAWSSigner.signAndBase64Encode(AbstractAWSSigner.java:71)
	at com.amazonaws.auth.AbstractAWSSigner.signAndBase64Encode(AbstractAWSSigner.java:55)
	at com.amazonaws.auth.QueryStringSigner.sign(QueryStringSigner.java:83)
	at com.amazonaws.auth.QueryStringSigner.sign(QueryStringSigner.java:46)
	at com.amazonaws.http.AmazonHttpClient.executeHelper(AmazonHttpClient.java:238)
	at com.amazonaws.http.AmazonHttpClient.execute(AmazonHttpClient.java:170)
Caused by: com.amazonaws.AmazonClientException: Unable to calculate a request signature: Empty key
	at com.amazonaws.auth.AbstractAWSSigner.sign(AbstractAWSSigner.java:90)
	at com.amazonaws.auth.AbstractAWSSigner.signAndBase64Encode(AbstractAWSSigner.java:68)
	... 14 more
Caused by: java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Empty key
	at javax.crypto.spec.SecretKeySpec.<init>(SecretKeySpec.java:96)
	at com.amazonaws.auth.AbstractAWSSigner.sign(AbstractAWSSigner.java:87)
	... 15 more

With the above, I start up Logstash with the following command:
bin/logstash -f config/pipelines/pipeline.conf --config.reload.automatic

When the pipeline is started up, the following event is processed:

{
          "path" => "/Users/Andy/Desktop/logstash-5.6.3/java_errors.log",
    "@timestamp" => 2017-10-10T21:31:56.658Z,
       "message" => "Sep 9, 2017 6:14:31 AM ERROR com.example.blog.service.PostServiceImpl: Post Not Found (ID: 1)\n\t[MORE STACK TRACE HERE]\n\tat com.amazonaws.auth.AbstractAWSSigner.sign(AbstractAWSSigner.java:87)",
          "tags" => [
        [0] "multiline"
    ]
}

The last line is missing from the event because the file does not end with a newline, so this is expected. If I then add a new stack trace to the test file, I get the following output immediately:

{
    "@timestamp" => 2017-10-10T21:34:48.367Z,
       "message" => "\t... 15 more"
}

And the following after five seconds (the next stack trace without the last line):

{
    "@timestamp" => 2017-10-10T21:34:53.637Z,
       "message" => "Sep 9, 2017 6:14:31 AM ERROR com.example.blog.service.PostServiceImpl: Post Not Found (ID: 2)\n\t[MORE STACK TRACE HERE]\n\tat com.amazonaws.auth.AbstractAWSSigner.sign(AbstractAWSSigner.java:87)",
          "tags" => [
        [0] "multiline"
    ]
}

This behavior repeats every time a new stack trace is added. This is not a problem per se, because if I just make sure the file always ends with a newline, everything works as intended. However, the behavior is different with Logstash 6.0.0 RC1. With this version, starting up the exact same pipeline outputs the following:

{
          "path" => "/Users/Andy/Desktop/logstash/java_errors.log",
    "@timestamp" => 2017-10-10T21:40:27.158Z,
       "message" => "Sep 9, 2017 6:14:31 AM ERROR com.example.blog.service.PostServiceImpl: Post Not Found (ID: 1)\n\t[MORE STACK TRACE HERE]\n\tat com.amazonaws.auth.AbstractAWSSigner.sign(AbstractAWSSigner.java:87)",
          "tags" => [
        [0] "multiline"
    ]
}

So far the same result; the last line of the stack trace is missing. Then I add another stack trace to the file, and the following output appears immediately:

{
    "@timestamp" => 2017-10-10T21:42:58.895Z,
       "message" => "Sep 9, 2017 6:14:31 AM ERROR com.example.blog.service.PostServiceImpl: Post Not Found (ID: 1)\n\t[MORE STACK TRACE HERE]\n\tat com.amazonaws.auth.AbstractAWSSigner.sign(AbstractAWSSigner.java:87)\n\t... 15 more",
          "tags" => [
        [0] "multiline"
    ]
}

This is the first event of the file, this time including the last line. Five seconds later, the following output appears:

{
    "@timestamp" => 2017-10-10T21:43:04.079Z,
       "message" => "Sep 9, 2017 6:14:31 AM ERROR com.example.blog.service.PostServiceImpl: Post Not Found (ID: 2)\n\t[MORE STACK TRACE HERE]\n\tat com.amazonaws.auth.AbstractAWSSigner.sign(AbstractAWSSigner.java:87)",
          "tags" => [
        [0] "multiline"
    ]
}

The above is the second stack trace, but without its last line.

If I add more stack traces to the file, the above repeats, so essentially processing the same stack traces twice with and without the last line. Pretty funky.

I know I can handle the stack traces in a simpler way by using the "negate" option, but I am trying to demonstrate this approach for a tutorial. I looked through the changelog for version 6.0.0 and couldn't find anything that should cause this. Also looked at the "multiline" codec, but it doesn't seem like anything changed.

Basically I am trying to figure out why the two versions of Logstash produce different results. Version 5.x produces what I expected, and version 6.0.0 RC1 doesn't. Does anyone know the explanation for the different behavior?

Thanks so much in advance, and sorry for the lengthy post, but I wanted to include as much detail as possible.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.