Follow-up from "Unable to avoid JSON parsing errors in logstash log-file"

Hi everyone,
I am using ELK 7.2.

I did read from a past answer here and I found it useful, as what I need to do is to make logstash correctly parse json data, and also an array of nested json objects.

However, if I need to parse both json and also json in form of an array of json objects, what would it be the configuration? For now, I did read this [{},{}]

Is there a way to correctly embed that part of regex to the one I am already using (wrote as an answer on the forum, here below)?

if [message] =~ "\A\{.+\}\z" {
  json { .. }
}

To make the setup clearer, because of this problem I tried to temporarily cast every type that passes through logstash as string, so the objects will not be aggregatable by ELK but at least they can be read. I tried this ruby filter

filter {
 ruby {
        code => '
            def stringify(object, name, event)
                if object == nil
                    event.set(name, "nil" )
                elsif object.kind_of?(Hash) and object != {}
                    object.each { |k, v| stringify(v, "#{name}[#{k}]", event) }
                elsif object.kind_of?(Array) and object != []
                    object.each_index { |i|
                        stringify(object[i], "#{name}[#{i}]", event)
                    }
                else
                    event.set(name, object.to_s)
                end
            end
            stringify(event.get("extraData"), "[extraData]", event)
        '
    }
}

and it seem to work, at least on my local configuration. However, in the actual environment (which is also created by Terraform) that does not work.

If I could correctly ingest and parse the source [message] as it should perhaps this ruby filter to cast everything to string is not even needed.

Can you please confirm me the regex above? How can I make such json and json array of objects correctly parsed by logstash?

Many thanks

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.