Got error to send bulk of actions: Connection refused

I am using logstash 1.5.4 . getting error like below since today.

Got error to send bulk of actions: Connection refused {:level=>:error}

Failed to flush outgoing items {:outgoing_count=>193, :exception=>"Manticore::SocketException", :backtrace=>["/installdir/ELK/logstash-1.5.4/vendor/bundle/s/manticore-0.4.4-java/lib/manticore/response.rb:35:in initialize'", "org/jruby/RubyProc.java:271:in call'", "/installdir/ELK/logstash-1.5.4/vendor/bundlems/manticore-0.4.4-java/lib/manticore/response.rb:70:in call'", "/installdir/ELK/logstash-1.5.4/vendor/bundle/jruby/1.9/gems/manticore-0.4.4-java/lib/manse.rb:245:in call_once'", "/installdir/ELK/logstash-1.5.4/vendor/bundle/jruby/1.9/gems/manticore-0.4.4-java/lib/manticore/response.rb:148:in code'", "/inlogstash-1.5.4/vendor/bundle/jruby/1.9/gems/elasticsearch-transport-1.0.12/lib/elasticsearch/transport/transport/http/manticore.rb:71:in perform_request'"RubyProc.java:271:in call'", "/installdir/ELK/logstash-1.5.4/vendor/bundle/jruby/1.9/gems/elasticsearch-transport-1.0.12/lib/elasticsearch/transport/trans190:in perform_request'", "/installdir/ELK/logstash-1.5.4/vendor/bundle/jruby/1.9/gems/elasticsearch-transport-1.0.12/lib/elasticsearch/transport/transporore.rb:54:in perform_request'", "/installdir/ELK/logstash-1.5.4/vendor/bundle/jruby/1.9/gems/elasticsearch-transport-1.0.12/lib/elasticsearch/transport/cln perform_request'", "/installdir/ELK/logstash-1.5.4/vendor/bundle/jruby/1.9/gems/elasticsearch-api-1.0.12/lib/elasticsearch/api/actions/bulk.rb:80:in bulldir/ELK/logstash-1.5.4/vendor/bundle/jruby/1.9/gems/logstash-output-elasticsearch-1.0.7-java/lib/logstash/outputs/elasticsearch/protocol.rb:104:in bulk'ir/ELK/logstash-1.5.4/vendor/bundle/jruby/1.9/gems/logstash-output-elasticsearch-1.0.7-java/lib/logstash/outputs/elasticsearch.rb:542:in submit'", "/instastash-1.5.4/vendor/bundle/jruby/1.9/gems/logstash-output-elasticsearch-1.0.7-java/lib/logstash/outputs/elasticsearch.rb:566:in flush'", "/installdir/ELK/l/vendor/bundle/jruby/1.9/gems/stud-0.0.21/lib/stud/buffer.rb:219:in buffer_flush'", "org/jruby/RubyHash.java:1341:in each'", "/installdir/ELK/logstash-1.ndle/jruby/1.9/gems/stud-0.0.21/lib/stud/buffer.rb:216:in buffer_flush'", "/installdir/ELK/logstash-1.5.4/vendor/bundle/jruby/1.9/gems/stud-0.0.21/lib/stu93:in buffer_flush'", "/installdir/ELK/logstash-1.5.4/vendor/bundle/jruby/1.9/gems/stud-0.0.21/lib/stud/buffer.rb:159:in buffer_receive'", "/installdir/E.5.4/vendor/bundle/jruby/1.9/gems/logstash-output-elasticsearch-1.0.7-java/lib/logstash/outputs/elasticsearch.rb:531:in receive'", "/installdir/ELK/logstaor/bundle/jruby/1.9/gems/logstash-core-1.5.4-java/lib/logstash/outputs/base.rb:88:in handle'", "(eval):609:in output_func'", "/installdir/ELK/logstash-1.ndle/jruby/1.9/gems/logstash-core-1.5.4-java/lib/logstash/pipeline.rb:244:in outputworker'", "/installdir/ELK/logstash-1.5.4/vendor/bundle/jruby/1.9/gems/-1.5.4-java/lib/logstash/pipeline.rb:166:in start_outputs'"], :level=>:warn}

Have you checked ES to make sure it is not overloaded?

You have configured Logstash to connect to a host:port combination where nobody's listening. Are you using the right hostname? The right port? Is there a firewall blocking the connection attempts? Is Elasticsearch listening on the right interface? There are many questions to dig into.

I am using lumberjack plugin. And yes firewall port is open.
The same was working a day before. I can also see logs scrolling for few seconds and then the above errors keep repetative.
Is there any way to check tge connectivity between ES and logstash?

I am using lumberjack plugin.

Sure, for the input but that's not where your problem is.

Is there any way to check tge connectivity between ES and logstash?

You could e.g. use curl or telnet; curl hostname-of-es-server:9200.

I forgot to mention:

I am running ELK on the same host. Recently I have upgraded to kibana-4.4.0 and ES-2.2.0 and i tried to upgrade logstash-2.2.0 but It was giving below error:

Connection refused {:class=>"Manticore::SocketException", :level=>:error}

So I sticked to logstash-1.5.4 ... but it is giving a stack of errors that i already mentioned in first post.

Hope this can help to debug.

Hello Mark, How can we check this? I am having a single ES node

If you are using Logstash 1.5.4 with Elasticsearch 2.x, make sure that you are using the HTTP protocol in the Elasticsearch output plugin, or upgrade to the latest Logstash version.