GREEDYDATA in Grok doesn't pick up a leading [

I am receiving syslogs like this:
Oct 5 13:37:13 10.20.30.40 %ASA-4-733100: [ HTTP 80] drop rate-1 exceeded. Current burst rate is 7 per second, max configured rate is 40; Current average rate is 23 per second, max configured rate is 20; Cumulative total count is 14207

My grok statement, which works on herokuapp grok debugger, is:

%{CISCOTIMESTAMP:log_date} %{IP:log_source_ip} \%%{DATA:asa_code}:%{GREEDYDATA:message}

However I find:

1. These logs get tagged as grokparsefailure
  2. None of the fields are parsed
  3. The message field in kibana only shows the below, ie the fields that I want parsed no longer exist but have not been parsed. (I do NOT have overwrite configured in my config file anywhere and other logs that are parsed or grokparsefailure always include the full message). I was expecting the message to show the entire log, but it seems the leading [ seems to cause some odd behavior.:

] drop rate-1 exceeded. Current burst rate is 7 per second, max configured rate is 40; Current average rate is 23 per second, max configured rate is 20; Cumulative total count is 14207

Hi @joesheps welcome to the community.

Think

\%%{DATA:asa_code}:%

Should be (CORRECTED)

\%%{DATA:asa_code}:

Note the : at the end

Hi Stephen,
Thanks for the speedy response!

Are you saying it should be :
%{CISCOTIMESTAMP:log_date} %{IP:log_source_ip} \%%{DATA:asa_code}%:{GREEDYDATA:message}

This fails in the herokuapp because, I believe, the % is meant to preceed the {} declaration of a new field and with the semi-colon moved it no longer does. ie I want it to match anything after (but not including) the literal : which follows the asa_code field and capture that as the message.

Sorry typo on my part \%%{DATA:asa_code}: the second % is not needed

%{CISCOTIMESTAMP:log_date} %{IP:log_source_ip} \%%{DATA:asa_code}: %{GREEDYDATA:message}

Hi Stephen,

I appreciate your continued help but I'm not sure I understand what you're getting at here. You seem to have removed the % which is required for the {GREEDYDATA:message} grok filter, rendering it invalid. Unless you're referring to one of the two % in \%%{DATA:asa_code} which are used to match a literal % in the string, and to declare the asa_code filter respectively.

Can you clarify for me? I should mention that this grok filter works great for all messages I receive from this device, except these ones with the leading square bracket.

Cheers

Joe

There was a space missing... apologies I am doing too many things

Here is tha from Kibana Dev Tools

Oct 5 13:37:13 10.20.30.40 %ASA-4-733100: [ HTTP 80] drop rate-1 exceeded. Current burst rate is 7 per second, max configured rate is 40; Current average rate is 23 per second, max configured rate is 20; Cumulative total count is 14207

Note there is a space after the : in the \%%{DATA:asa_code}: before %{GREEDYDATA:message}

%{CISCOTIMESTAMP:log_date} %{IP:log_source_ip} \%%{DATA:asa_code}: %{GREEDYDATA:message}

Parsed

{
  "asa_code": "ASA-4-733100",
  "log_date": "Oct 5 13:37:13",
  "log_source_ip": "10.20.30.40",
  "message": "[ HTTP 80] drop rate-1 exceeded. Current burst rate is 7 per second, max configured rate is 40; Current average rate is 23 per second, max configured rate is 20; Cumulative total count is 14207"
}

That seems to be working now Stephen, thanks very much for the perseverance.

Your welcome.. if I had read and typed slower we would had got there quicker :slight_smile:

Hi Stephen,
I noticed i still have the issue, but after looking directly at the syslog-ng file the logs are read from I can see that, for some reason, these particular messages with the leading [ have a line feed and numerous spaces inserted into them. This is the reason the parsing is failing as the message falls over multiple lines.
So on another syslog server the message shows as:

[ LOCAL\user@user.com ] drop rate-1 exceeded. Current burst rate is 41 per second, max configured rate is 40; Current average rate is 1 per second, max configured rate is 20; Cumulative total count is 835

But on syslog-ng (where logstash reads from) it shows as:

Oct  7 08:46:09 10.210.13.3 %ASA-4-733100: [   LOCAL\user@user.com
                      ] drop rate-1 exceeded. Current burst rate is 64 per second, max configured rate is 40; Current average rate is 2 per second, max configured rate is 20; Cumulative total count is 1294

This only occurs on a tiny minority of my logs so i'm content to just leave it as is rather than tshoot syslog-ng. Just thought I'd post an update.
Cheers again for the help.
Joe

Interesting... there would probably be a way to fix that as well... There are some tricks with multiline that might work. @badger is the master parser perhaps if / when they, take' a look there might be a suggestion.

What does that second message look like if you use

output { stdout { codec => rubydebug } }

Is it really multiple lines (in which case you will need a multiline codec to merge them) or does it have an embedded line feed?

Are you suggesting I use that line in the grok config? This type of log is a tiny sub percentage of the logs I am receiving, so wary of putting in any config that might affect logs from the others.
If I open the log file in any text editor that shows these characters then it shows as a LF followed by about 5 spaces so it looks like an embedded line feed to me and i'd be surprised if it was coming that way from the source - although without doing a packet capture (which would be very large as the source is very talkative) I can't confirm for sure.
If you have any suspects spring to mind then let me know, otherwise I wouldn't worry about it. I'm happy to let these anomalies occur as they're quite isolated.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.