Grok failed to parse simple string and logstash stuck at 100% CPU

Hi!
I've got a strange error:
[2017-12-21T20:54:31,450][WARN ][logstash.filters.grok ] Timeout executing grok '%{UNIXPATH:path}/(?[^]*)(?<fs_component>[-.0-9a-z]+)_(?<fs_logformat>[A-Z]+).logs' against field 'source' with value '/var/fairshell/logs/docker-apps/waf.data.log.error.log_demo-web_APACHE.logs'!

After that the filebeat-logstash is locked and logstash consumes 100% CPU (that stops when I stop filebeat and starts again when filebeat is restarted) and no other event from filebeat is treated by logstash. After some (long, sometimes 30) minutes Logstash seems to work again.

I checked with the grok debugger that the value is correctly parsed by the grok expression.

Logstash's conf is quite simple here:
grok {
match => { "source" => "%{UNIXPATH:path}/(?[^]*)(?<fs_component>[-.0-9a-z]+)_(?<fs_logformat>[A-Z]+).logs" }
remove_field => [ "dummy" ]
remove_field => [ "path" ]
}

Any idea what's wrong here?
Thanks

That's surprising, but try prepending the expression with ^ to reduce the amount of backtracking.

Hi,
I still get the error, but the 100% CPU problem has not come back (though i can't be sure if it's related):
[2017-12-22T13:23:33,145][WARN ][logstash.filters.grok ] Timeout executing grok '^%{UNIXPATH:path}/(?[^]*)(?<fs_component>[-.0-9a-z]+)_(?<fs_logformat>[A-Z]+).logs' against field 'source' with value '/var/fairshell/logs/docker-apps/waf.data.log.error.log_demo-web_APACHE.logs'!
Thanks!

1. Did something get lost in this? The first item after the / does not look like a valid group to me.

2. It looks like there are known issues with UNIXPATH and excessive backtracking.

3. Can you get the job done with this?... (Note that I added _ to the fs_component pattern, so that demo-web goes to that side.)

match => { "message" => "/(?<fs_component>[-_.0-9a-z]+)_(?<fs_logformat>[A-Z]+).logs" }

Did something get lost in this? The first item after the / does not look like a valid group to me.

Just the usual mangling of things that look like HTML.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.