Grok multiple pattern and tag_on_failure for each pattern

Hello, I am trying to use multiple grok pattern under single grok, but when any of the pattern matches, it should not add tag_on_failure. Or can I add tag_on_failure for each pattern? Configuration is as below:

grok {
match => { "message" => [ "%{pattern1}", "%{pattern2}" ] tag_on_failure => ["parse-failed"] }

In above case, when logline matches with pattern1 and failed with pattern2 then it add tag_on_failure to it and when logline doesn't match with pattern1 but match with pattern2 then it will not add tag_on_failure.

Please suggest

Use the following

grok {
    break_on_match => true
    tag_on_failure => ["parse-failed"]
    match => [ 'message', '%{PATTERN1}' ]
    match => [ 'message', '%{PATTERN2}' ]
    match => [ 'message', '%{PATTERN3}' ]
}

Thanks for the reply and help Bardie. Can you tell me one more thing that why do we need to write "break_on_match => true" when its the default value ? So is that the case with other options as well ?

Ref: https://www.elastic.co/guide/en/logstash/5.3/plugins-filters-grok.html#plugins-filters-grok-break_on_match

1 Like

break_on_match => true is used when you have multiple matches and you want to prevent logstash from trying all the match statements on grok

Can you tell me one more thing that why do we need to write "break_on_match => true" when its the default value ?

You don't. break_on_match is the default behavior.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.