Grok Placement

I am wondering about processing. Is there any benefit to putting a GROK pattern in the input rather than creating nested conditional statements in the filter?

"Grok pattern in the input", what does that mean? Could you give example of the two cases you want to compare?

This is a very rough example of what i'm considering. This way in the filter below I wouldnt have to grok just to add a field to a single input with multiple log types coming in

input {udp { port => "514"
    grok{ 
        match => {"message" => "<%{BASE10NUM:LCE_log_num}>%{SYSLOGTIMESTAMP:LCE_time} %{NOTSPACE}: %{NOTSPACE} %{IP:Source_IP}:%{BASE10NUM:Source_Port} -> %{IP:Destination_IP}:%{BASE10NUM:Destination_Port} ::" }
		add_field => { "sort_num" => "%{LCE_log_num}" }
	}

filter {
    if [sort_num] == "36"
        grok{
            match => {"message" => "%{PROG:Log_Type},%{DATE_US:Event_Date},%{TIME:Event_Time} %{WORD},%{PROG:Log},%{BASE10NUM},%{WORD:Error_id},%{PROG},%{WORD},%{PROG},%{HOST},IP:%{IP},%{BASE10NUM}}"
}

mutate{
}

output{
}

Can I use grok in the input section?

No, grok is a filter that can only be placed in the filter section.

A typical solution to your problem is to segregate different kinds of messages by the type field and/or via tags and put conditionals on those fields/tags around the filters.