Heartbeat Status logged to /var/log/messages

Heartbeat is configured in Redhat and status logs for each URL that heartbeat validates sends the log information to /var/log/messages. This file is growing like anything. Is there a way to stop/suppress logging the heartbeat audit logs to /var/log/messages.

Hi @arun_prasath1,

Could you post an example of some of those? In general, you can tweak logging settings, take a look to https://www.elastic.co/guide/en/beats/heartbeat/current/configuration-logging.html for details on how to do it.

Best regards

I messed the code. I found the issue and followed the logging code in the URL mentioned. it worked. Great thanks Exekias for links.

Hi Exekias, I have the logging code like below. The log file is created under /var/log/heartbeat but still it is logging to /var/log/messages as well. So in two places the logs are logged. How to stop logging to path /var/log/messages file.

logging.level: warning
logging.to_files: true
logging.to_syslog: false
logging.files:
path: /var/log/heartbeat
name: heartbeat
keepfiles: 7
permissions: 0600

Could you please share the version and setup package you used to deploy Hearbeat? I'll have a look

I have two instances of filebeat running in the server for two environment. It seems below lines causes to record to /var/log/messages. Even output.console: pretty: false causing to record the logs to /var/log/messages. so I have commented out the below lines.

output.console:
pretty: false

sorry for late response. I have below versions.
filebeat-5.2.2-1.x86_64
heartbeat-5.4.0-1.x86_64

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.