How do I avoid including kubernetes.labels?

kubernetes.labels represents a lot of clutter that isn't useful to me. Add Kubernetes metadata | Filebeat Reference [8.12] | Elastic explains how to drop labels from associated resources, but I can't work out how to avoid including labels themselves. Is drop_fields with regex the only way?

I can't get drop_fields with regex to work, either. I was expecting /kubernetes\.labels\..*/ and /agent\..*/ to delete all subkeys under kubernetes.labels and agent, but it doesn't seem to. I don't know how drop_fields interacts with hierarchical entries.

Hello @Ananym ,

Can you try the following block

- add_resource_metadata:
          namespace:
            enabled: false
          node:
            enabled: false

The above will disable the metadata enrichment for node and namespace, so relevant kubernetes kubernetes.node.labels.* and kubernetes.namespace_labels.*

Additionally if you use the kubernetes provider in filebeat autodiscovery like here you can use

providers:
       - type: kubernetes
         exclude_labels: .... 

Also the following processor should work I have tested it:

- drop_fields:
   fields:
      - kubernetes.labels

Let me know which of those helped you?

to be clear, include_labels: works for the node metadata, I was just hoping to see an equivalent for pod metadata.

I definitely have kubernetes.labels included as an entry in my drop_fields processor but I'm still seeing them. (Some) Other fields in that array are being dropped appropriately. Drop fields is definitely positioned after add_kubernetes_metadata.

Plese use include_labels also in the provider level. This will include only the pods labels specified

See the updated latest docs here : Autodiscover | Filebeat Reference [master] | Elastic

"If the include_labels config is added to the provider config, then the list of labels present in the config will be added to the event."

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.