How logstash work?

I want to understand if i enabled logatash service via systemctl. How often does it read the logstash config i created? Is there a way i can increase frequency of reading the config file i made?

These questions are explained at https://www.elastic.co/guide/en/logstash/current/reloading-config.html.

Thanks for the response. Since logstash service is enable should i still need to use below command and add in crontab?

bin/logstash –f apache.config --config.reload.automatic

No, the point of running it as a background service is to not have to run it via e.g. cron.

you mean i will still use systemctl ? i just need to update my startup script? /etc/systemd/system/logstash.service ?

Also, my source csv file is received from my samba directory every 2 hours will my dashboard update as well ?

you mean i will still use systemctl ?

Yes.

i just need to update my startup script? /etc/systemd/system/logstash.service ?

Try to use /etc/default/logstash or /etc/sysconfig/logstash if either is available on your system. I don't remember exactly how it's being set up by the installation scripts.

Also, my source csv file is received from my samba directory every 2 hours will my dashboard update as well ?

I don't know anything about your dashboard to I can't answer.

Sorry for that. The indeces from the output will be used for my grafana dashbord :slight_smile:

question i usually get my input file every 10minutes. And i notice that my index is not updating. What i did was i created a cron that will restart logstash service to update the index. I am not sure if that is the correct approach?

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.