How many matches, we can have in grok filter - as example below

I have assorted logs coming to syslog file as one all.log, i am looking sort using different grok match, is this possible as below : match ?

input {
file {
path => "/var/syslog-ng/raw/*.log"
start_position => "beginning"
type => "logstash-syslog"
tags => [ "logstash-syslog" ]
}
}
filter {
grok {
match => {

[ "message" => "%{SYSLOGTIMESTAMP:syslog_timestamp} %{HOSTNAME:device_src} %{NUMBER} %{SYSLOGTIMESTAMP} %{WORD}: %{GREEDYDATA:syslog_message}",
                    "message" => "%{SYSLOGTIMESTAMP:syslog_timestamp} %{HOSTNAME:device_src} %{GREEDYDATA:syslog_message}"]
            }
    }
    date {
             match => ["syslog_timestamp", "MMM dd HH:mm:ss" ]
    }
    ruby {
  code => "event.remove('type')"

}
}

output {
elasticsearch {
hosts => ["192.168.1.75:9200"]
index => "logstash-syslog"
}
stdout {
codec => rubydebug
}
}

The documentation of the match option in the grok filter documentation contains an example of how to specify more than one expression.

this what i see in the document.

grok {
match => {
"message" => ["expr1", "expr2", ..., "exprN"]
}
}

is that mean, i can have 100 expression ? 30 different logs and log format stored in the same file

Curiosity do i consider delay, processing 100 expressions ?

is that mean, i can have 100 expression ? 30 different logs and log format stored in the same file

Yes.

Curiosity do i consider delay, processing 100 expressions ?

Of course, but the grok filter doesn't always test all expressions. It terminates the search as soon as there's a match, so you'll want to sort the expressions in "most likely to match" order.

Appreciate your reply.

"most likely to match" order

This means, we should not have any generic expression which consumes more time to recursive lookup.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.