How to assign the extracted data from log file to new added fields

Hi ,

I have the following logstash config for adding 2 new fields "timestamp1" and "response1" , when I use mutate block I am able to see the new fields but the data parsing is failing from the log file.

filter {
grok {
patterns_dir => ["D:\hp_deloitte\sudhsrivastava\ELK_setup\logstash-6.0.1.OLD\patterns"]
match => { "message" => "%{GREEDYDATA:message}%{RESPPATTERN:response1}%{DATEPATTERN:timestamp1}"}
}
mutate {
add_field => { "timestamp1" => "%{timestamp1}" }
add_field => { "response1" => "%{response1}" }
}
date {
match => ["timestamp1", "yyyy-MM-dd HH:mm:ss,SSS"]
target => "timestamp1"
}

Below is the log sample:

`2020-08-02 10:53:02,052 DEB [0.TriggerInputAdapter:1)]] c.r.f.aAnalyticsApiRequestor      -Sending API request :: ResponseTime : 6 ms - Recieved`

But in Kibana this is what i am seeing:

`timestamp1:%{timestamp1}` 
`response1:%{response1}`

However I am also getting the tags in kibana : tags:beats_input_codec_plain_applied, _grokparsefailure, _dateparsefailure

and not the actual values. Please help. Where am I gong wrong?

That sets the [timestamp1] field to the value of the [timestamp1] field (i.e. it does nothing) and similarly for [response1]. What are you trying to do with that?

If you are getting a _grokparsefailure tag then your grok patterns do not match. How are RESPPATTERN and DATEPATTERN defined?

Thanks @Badger for the response.

below are two patterns:

RESPPATTERN [0-9]{1,2}ms => to match "6ms"
DATEPATTERN [0-9]{4}-[0-9]{2}-[0-9]{1,2}.?[0-9]{1,2}:[0-9]{1,2}:[0-9]{1,2},[0-9]{3} => to match timestamp

I am trying to match the timestamp and "6ms" in the log.

By using mutate i get the new fields in kibana but due to parse error values are not coming up.

how do I make logstash to ship/assign the extracted values to the new fields ?. As per what i understood mutate creates a new field and assign the value to it and grok patterns exatracts the matched value from logs.

Please suggest what changes do i need to make?

The grok pattern has to match the log message. Your message starts with DATEPATTERN, it does not end with it. Also, the '6 ms' has a space in it, so you could try

grok {
        pattern_definitions => {
            "RESPPATTERN" => "[0-9]{1,2} ms"
            "DATEPATTERN" => "[0-9]{4}-[0-9]{2}-[0-9]{1,2}.?[0-9]{1,2}:[0-9]{1,2}:[0-9]{1,2},[0-9]{3}"
        }
        match => { "message" => "%{DATEPATTERN:timestamp1}%{GREEDYDATA:message}%{RESPPATTERN:response1}" }
    }

Thanks @Badger.

I made the changes as per your suggestion: Below is the final logstash config:

input {
beats {
port => 5044
type => "log"
host => "127.0.0.1"
}
}
output {
elasticsearch {
hosts => "127.0.0.1:9200"
manage_template => false
index => "%{[@metadata][beat]}-%{+YYYY.MM.dd}"
document_type => "%{[@metadata][type]}"
}
}
filter {
grok {
pattern_definitions => {
"RESPPATTERN" => "[0-9]{1,2} ms"
"DATEPATTERN" => "[0-9]{4}-[0-9]{2}-[0-9]{1,2}.?[0-9]{1,2}:[0-9]{1,2}:[0-9]{1,2},[0-9]{3}"
}
match => { "message" => "%{DATEPATTERN:timestamp1}%{GREEDYDATA:message}%{RESPPATTERN:response1}"}
}
mutate {
add_field => { "timestamp2" => "%{timestamp1}" }
add_field => { "response2" => "%{response1}" }
}
date {
match => ["timestamp2", "yyyy-MM-dd HH:mm:ss,SSS"]
target => "timestamp2"
}
}

I changed new field in mutate block. But I am still getting the date gropparse error and date parse errors.

Ok, got it @Badger. Thanks.

I had to match the last part of the log message post 6ms also.

It is working now.