How to configure Elasticsearch output

Hi All,

I am trying to load the log data over logstash to elasticsearch, so i have done the below steps,

1. installed filebeat and configured "filebeat.yml" --> like below

#----------------------------- Logstash output --------------------------------
output.logstash:
# The Logstash hosts
hosts: ["localhost:9600"]

1. after I have enabled logstash module over cmd,
  2. then trying to setup the filebeat in cmd but getting the below error in cmd

C:\Program Files\Filebeat>filebeat.exe setup
"Exiting: Template loading requested but the Elasticsearch output is not configured/enabled"

but I want to transfer the log file over logstash pipeline to elasticsearch,

Thanks,
Nagaraj,

To send data to Logstash you need to add a beats input into your Logstash config and send data to the port this is configured with. Post 9600 is not the correct one.

In order to upload dashboards and templates I believe Filebeat need to connect directly to Elasticsearch during the setup. Once this has completed you should be able to send data via Logstash.

1 Like

You could set setup.template.enabled to false, so it won't attempt to load it.

Documentation links:

https://www.elastic.co/guide/en/beats/filebeat/current/filebeat-template.html
https://www.elastic.co/guide/en/beats/filebeat/current/configuration-template.html

1 Like

yeah I have added the beat port 5044 in "logstash.config" file, like below

input {
beats {
port => "5044"
}
}

that "port:9600" I am using for logstash api console,

And filebeat can able to connect elasticsearch directly for posting log file and others, but when I am trying to load the log file over logstash at the time I am getting error,

The Logstash output in the Filebeat config should specify port 5044, not 9600.

Are you actually going to enrich your log data in Logstash? If you just use Logstash as a proxy to pass the data through, you might want to consider using HAProxy instead to tunnel the connection from the beat to elasticsearch.

This is what I just did on one of my setups, where I had to have a jump host between my machines running their beats and the elasticsearch endpoint. Logstash would have been overkill, since I didn't want to do anything with the data but pass it through.

1 Like

I am just filtering some entry in source log file over logstash then put the filtered entry in to elasticsearch, for example below is the log file content,

"2019-03-20 01:55:54, Info DISM API: PID=3720 TID=8956 Leave CCommandThread::CommandThreadProcedureStub - CCommandThread::CommandThreadProcedureStub
2019-03-20 01:55:54, Info DISM API: PID=3720 TID=10736 Deleted g_internalDismSession - DismShutdownInternal
2019-03-20 01:55:54, Info DISM API: PID=3720 TID=10736 Shutdown SessionTable - DismShutdownInternal
2019-03-20 01:55:54, Info DISM API: PID=3720 TID=10736 Leave DismShutdownInternal - DismShutdownInternal
2019-03-20 01:55:54, Info DISM API: PID=3720 TID=10736 DismApi.dll: - DismShutdownInternal
2019-03-20 01:55:54, Info DISM API: PID=3720 TID=10736 DismApi.dll: <----- Ending DismApi.dll session -----> - DismShutdownInternal
2019-03-20 01:55:54, Info DISM API: PID=3720 TID=10736 DismApi.dll: - DismShutdownInternal"

so I am filtering like content message = Ending DismApi.dll session -----> - DismShutdownInternal

the only entry need to feed it in to elastic search over logstash,

This is what I am trying,

@Christian_Dahlqvist I have changed the port to "5044", now also getting the same error " Exiting: Template loading requested but the Elasticsearch output is not configured/enabled"

When you run setup, you can not connect through Logstash but must configure an Elasticsearch output.

1 Like

in filebeat.yml file if I use output as "elasticserach" then the "filebeat.exe setup" command is working fine, but when I use output "logstash" with hostname and port [localhost:5044] it is throwing the error like "elasticsearch output is not enabled"

yeah at the beginning of configuration step it was going over elasticsearch, so now I am trying to load data from logstash,

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.