How to make Ruby selectively remove the top level field from a specific nested field pattern

My Logstash instance will be receiving JSON records containing a wide variety of nested fields whose names start with [data][ecs].... and I need to trim the [data] prefix off of all of those field names before indexing. There will be other non-ecs [data] field names that must retain the [data] prefix.

For example, [data][ecs][source][ip] needs to change to [ecs][source][ip]
but [data][org][name] needs to stay the same.

From my research so far, it sounds like this would be a job for Ruby, and this example seems to hint at the soution:

but I'm not strong enough with Ruby to go the distance from there.

Would anyone be willing to at least get me off to a strong start on getting Ruby to enumerate through all field names in the current record that start with [data][ecs] and to trim off the [data] prefix from each of them?

I sure would appreciate it!
Kevin

After deeper digging, I found some better examples and I think I very nearly have the solution.

What I have so far is:

#
   # Move all [data][ecs]... field names up to [ecs]...
   #
   ruby {
      code => "
         begin
            keys = event.to_hash.keys
            keys.each{|key|
                if ( key =~ /^\[data\]\[ecs\]/ )
                   newkey = key.gsub(/\\[data\\]\\[ecs\\]/, '[ecs]')
                   event.set(newkey, event.remove(key))
                end
            }
         rescue Exception => e
            event.set('logstash_ruby_exception', 'underscores: ' + e.message)
         end
      "
   }

At this point it is throwing no exception but no fields starting with [data][ecs] are being renamed to not start with [data].

Is there something wrong about how I am escaping the square brackets? I've tried several variations on that and it either throws an exception or simply renames no fields.