How to make the JMX plugin work?

Completely new to Elastic stack, just playing around, to see how easy it might be to do the sorts of things we're likely to want.

I've tried to use the JMX plugin, but get the following in the log. It appears to be failing to make an SSL connection, but I haven't (knowingly) told it to make an SSL connection, and I don't want it to make an SSL connection. What's going on, and how do I stop it please?

2017-04-25T16:45:00,004][INFO ][logstash.inputs.jmx ] Loading configuration files in path {:path=>"/etc/logstash/jmxconf"}
[2017-04-25T16:45:04,567][ERROR][logstash.inputs.jmx ] error during JRMP connection establishment; nested exception is:
javax.net.ssl.SSLHandshakeException: Received fatal alert: handshake_failure
[2017-04-25T16:45:04,568][ERROR][logstash.inputs.jmx ] sun.rmi.transport.tcp.TCPChannel.createConnection(sun/rmi/transport/tcp/TCPChannel.java:304)
sun.rmi.transport.tcp.TCPChannel.newConnection(sun/rmi/transport/tcp/TCPChannel.java:202)
sun.rmi.server.UnicastRef.invoke(sun/rmi/server/UnicastRef.java:130)
java.rmi.server.RemoteObjectInvocationHandler.invokeRemoteMethod(java/rmi/server/RemoteObjectInvocationHandler.java:227)
java.rmi.server.RemoteObjectInvocationHandler.invoke(java/rmi/server/RemoteObjectInvocationHandler.java:179)
javax.management.remote.rmi.RMIConnector.getConnection(javax/management/remote/rmi/RMIConnector.java:2430)
javax.management.remote.rmi.RMIConnector.connect(javax/management/remote/rmi/RMIConnector.java:308)
javax.management.remote.JMXConnectorFactory.connect(javax/management/remote/JMXConnectorFactory.java:270)
java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(java/lang/reflect/Method.java:498)
RUBY.create_connection(/usr/share/logstash/vendor/bundle/jruby/1.9/gems/jmx4r-0.1.4/lib/jmx4r.rb:220)
RUBY.connection(/usr/share/logstash/vendor/bundle/jruby/1.9/gems/jmx4r-0.1.4/lib/jmx4r.rb:137)
RUBY.thread_jmx(/usr/share/logstash/vendor/bundle/jruby/1.9/gems/logstash-input-jmx-3.0.1/lib/logstash/inputs/jmx.rb:217)
RUBY.run(/usr/share/logstash/vendor/bundle/jruby/1.9/gems/logstash-input-jmx-3.0.1/lib/logstash/inputs/jmx.rb:321)
java.lang.Thread.run(java/lang/Thread.java:745)

Looks like the solution was to include

-Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.ssl=false

at the JMX server.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.