How to search using boolean operators AND, OR or Not in dev tools?

Could you replace the 2 match queries with 2 simple query string queries instead?

Hello @dadoonet,

Like this:
"query_string": {
"query": "test AND 4016768"
}
Regards,
Priyanka

Yes but I meant https://www.elastic.co/guide/en/elasticsearch/reference/current/query-dsl-simple-query-string-query.html

But your way should work as well.

Hello @dadoonet,

Thanks for reply!! i have tried using simple query string query. It is working fine for me.

one more doubt, in kibana when we do boolean search through index pattern, so Is it always necessary to mention field name first before using any boolean operator?
example: Field1: SearchTerm1 AND Field2: SearchTerm2

Is there any way to do boolean search without using fields? i want to apply boolean search for all the field.

I have tried using SearchTerm1 AND SearchTerm2, but it is considering AND as a word and giving me incorrect results.

Regards,
Priyanka

I believe it's because Kibana is using by default the KQL language which is slightly different perhaps than the Lucene query language.
There is an option to change it (a small arrow at the right of the search box IIRC).

Hello @dadoonet,

i am not able to see arrow.

Regards,
Priyanka

Because you are using an old version.
May be try the options but I think you are using Lucene query language by default in this version.

So that should work out of the box.
What exactly did you enter?

Hello @dadoonet,

I have enter Boolean search query . for example: Test AND testing.
I am able to search now.
My another doubt is i am using NOT operator in both ways. It should return me same number of results. but both are showing different result count. please find below

1st way:
GET new_database,new_attachment/_search?size=10000
{
"query": {
"simple_query_string": {
"query": "KPOD - 4245489",
"fields": ["contentid^5", "title^4","object_summary^3","content^2","submitted_for_name"] }
}
}
2nd way:
{
"query_string": {
"query": "KPOD NOT 4245489",
"fields": ["contentid^5", "title^4","object_summary^3","content^2","submitted_for_name"] }
}
}

This is "KPOD - 4245489" same as "KPOD NOT 4245489".

Regards,
Priyanka

Try

KPOD -4245489

Hello @dadoonet,

Nope, still wrong count!!!

Regards,
Priyanka

Could you provide a full recreation script as described in About the Elasticsearch category. It will help to better understand what you are doing. Please, try to keep the example as simple as possible.

A full reproduction script will help readers to understand, reproduce and if needed fix your problem. It will also most likely help to get a faster answer.

Hello @dadoonet,

I have tried solution that you have mentioned in above replies.
please find below code for your reference:

{
    "simple_query_string": {
    "query": "KPOD -4245489",
    }
    }

still i am getting wrong result count.

"query": "KPOD -4245489" and "query": "KPOD NOT 4245489" should work as same. correct if i am wrong.

using "query": "KPOD NOT 4245489" i am getting 1541 results. but using "query": "KPOD -4245489" i am getting more than 1541.

Kindly guide me on the same.

Regards,
Priyanka Y.

Could you provide a full recreation script as described in About the Elasticsearch category. It will help to better understand what you are doing. Please, try to keep the example as simple as possible.

A full reproduction script will help readers to understand, reproduce and if needed fix your problem. It will also most likely help to get a faster answer.

Hello @dadoonet,

I have explained using script. what do you want me to explain more on the same?

Thanks,
Priyanka

In case you did not see it, let me copy the text:

Providing a script to reproduce locally is definitely helping a lot to get quicker and more accurate responses.

Please format your code using </> icon and produce full scripts like this one:

DELETE index
PUT index/_doc/1
{
  "foo": "bar"
}
GET index/_search
{
    "match": {
      "foo": "bar"
    }
  }
}

A typical script like this one can be copied and pasted in Kibana Dev Console by any reader. It will definitely help to play with your example and provide a fix for your script.
If you don't provide it, there is a chance that nobody can help .

Hello @dadoonet,

I have updated my post using </>. kindly check.

Regards,
Priyanka

Running

On my machine is giving me that indices do not exist. So I can't reproduce.

Do you understand what I'm meaning?

Hello @dadoonet,

I am getting what you are trying to say. but this indexes are created fetching database columns (using logstash JDBC input plugin). and using dev tools i am trying to search.
i think you will not be able to create same indexes as this uses our database tables.
Let me know if there is any way to create same indexes.

Regards,
Priyanka

Just create an index with proper mapping, settings, index some documents manually, run the search and share that full script.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.