How to set environment for dotnet APM

Using the dotnet APM lib how do you set the environment for an application? I noticed the environment shows up as unknown in Kibana and i would like to put our actual environment names there so all our lower environments can use the same APM server etc.

Hi @Chris_Gilligan,

I would like to make sure we are on the same page - by

the environment shows up as unknown in Kibana

do you refer to "Not defined" in drop down on the screen shot below?

if so we do have PR in progress to allow configuring environment - add environment property to service class by vhatsura · Pull Request #413 · elastic/apm-agent-dotnet · GitHub. I assume it would be merged quite soon.

Regarding

so all our lower environments can use the same APM server etc.

I'm not sure I understand how environment is related to using the same APM server. Could you clarify that please?

Hi @Sergey_Kleyman,
yes that is what i meant by environment. Sorry i was not in front of it at the time to get the correct message.

Basically we 3+ environments (dev, QA, sandbox, prod) etc that runs copies of our apps. I was hoping to use the same Elastic APM stack/servers for all the lower environments and then be able to filter to the correct APM information in Kibana using that environment drop down on the UI.

I was hoping to use the same Elastic APM stack/servers for all the lower environments and then be able to filter to the correct APM information in Kibana using that environment drop down on the UI.

I see. Yes, it will work.

If you would like to get notification when this feature is implemented you can subscribe to the PR or the issue which the PR is intended to resolve.

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.