How to use logstash with docker?

Hello,

My enviroment:
Host: windows 10
Containers: linux

I am building a spring boot application and I am logging my logs to "C:/elk/spring-boot-elk.log"
I want to have a docker setup such that logstash will be able to read from that file whenever it is updated. I have no idea how should I proceed with this.

my docker file:

version: "3.3"
services:
  elasticsearch:
    image: docker.elastic.co/elasticsearch/elasticsearch:7.9.3
    container_name: elasticsearch
    environment:
      - discovery.type=single-node
    volumes:
      - elasticsearch-data:/usr/share/elasticsearch/data
    ports:
      - 9200:9200
    networks:
      - elknetwork

kibana:
    container_name: kibana
    image: docker.elastic.co/kibana/kibana:7.9.3
    environment:
      - ELASTICSEARCH_HOSTS=http://elasticsearch:9200    # address of elasticsearch docker container which kibana will connect
    ports:
      - 5601:5601
    depends_on:
      - elasticsearch                                   # kibana will start when elasticsearch has started
    networks:
      - elknetwork

logstash:
    image: logstash:7.9.3
    container_name: logstash
    links:
      - elasticsearch:elasticsearch
    volumes:
      - ./:/config-dir
    command: logstash -f /config-dir/logstash.conf
    depends_on:
      - elasticsearch
    networks:
      - elknetwork

networks:
  elknetwork:
    driver: bridge

volumes:
  elasticsearch-data:

my logstash.conf file

input {
  file {
    type => "java"
    path => "C:/elk/spring-boot-elk.log"
    start_position => "beginning"
    codec => multiline {
      pattern => "^%{YEAR}-%{MONTHNUM}-%{MONTHDAY} %{TIME}.*"
      negate => "true"
      what => "previous"
    }
  }
}

output {
  elasticsearch {
    hosts => ["elasticsearch:9200"]
  }
}

however when running the docker containers, i get this error:

[2020-10-29T02:59:02,245][ERROR][logstash.javapipeline    ][main] Pipeline error {:pipeline_id=>"main", :exception=>#<ArgumentError: File paths must be absolute, relative path specified: C:/elk/spring-boot-elk.log>, :backtrace=>["/usr/share/logstash/vendor/bundle/jruby/2.5.0/gems/logstash-input-file-4.2.2/lib/logstash/inputs/file.rb:283:in `block in register'", "org/jruby/RubyArray.java:1809:in `each'", "/usr/share/logstash/vendor/bundle/jruby/2.5.0/gems/logstash-input-file-4.2.2/lib/logstash/inputs/file.rb:281:in `register'", "/usr/share/logstash/logstash-core/lib/logstash/java_pipeline.rb:228:in `block in register_plugins'", "org/jruby/RubyArray.java:1809:in `each'", "/usr/share/logstash/logstash-core/lib/logstash/java_pipeline.rb:227:in `register_plugins'", "/usr/share/logstash/logstash-core/lib/logstash/java_pipeline.rb:386:in `start_inputs'", "/usr/share/logstash/logstash-core/lib/logstash/java_pipeline.rb:311:in `start_workers'", "/usr/share/logstash/logstash-core/lib/logstash/java_pipeline.rb:185:in `run'", "/usr/share/logstash/logstash-core/lib/logstash/java_pipeline.rb:137:in `block in start'"], "pipeline.sources"=>["/config-dir/logstash.conf"], :thread=>"#<Thread:0x4fcfe8a8 run>"}

my guess is that logstash can't read the log file because logstash is running on a docker container and thus it will not be able to see my host file.

You are right, you need to map the volume to the container with the specific file or folder; for example:

Thank you for your reply,
I am a bit new to docker but from my understanding. When you mount a volume, you transfer the files from the host to the docker container. Is that correct?

What if I want to keep logging to my log file on the host and I want docker to also have the updated log files?

It doesn't work like that, there are two main ways to use "Volumes"

1. "Volumes": The volume is in your disk as a file, the container see the volume as a folder in an specific path (Mount point), the host can't see the volume contents directly.
  2. "Bind Mount": You create a volume that binds directly to a file or folder on the host, the container see the volume as a folder or a file in a specific path (Mount Point), the host can access directly the volume and modify his content, these changes can be seen by the container in real time.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.