How to use ruby code to realize “i = i + 1" operation

Hi Experts,

I' m using ruby code to parse my target log.
Here is the source code:

if "_xmlparsefailure" not in [tags]{
        ruby {
                code => '
                        res = []
                        pmMeasInfo = event.get("[parsed][measData][0][measInfo]")
                        pmMeasInfo.each do |pr|

hash = Hash.new
                                i = 0

pmmeasValue = pr["measValue"][0]
                                pmmeasType = pr["measType"][0]
                                hash["measObJ"] = pmmeasValue["measObjLdn"]

pmmeasType.each do |pt|
                                        key = pt["content"]
                                        value = pmmeasValue["r"][#i]["content"].to_i
                                        hash[key] = value
                                        i = #i + 1
                                end

res.push(hash)
                        end

event.set("pm",res)
                '
        }
}

but when I start the logstash, here is the error report is fired:

[2019-08-30T16:11:23,024][ERROR][org.logstash.Logstash    ] java.lang.IllegalStateException: Logstash stopped processing because of an error: (SyntaxError) (ruby filter code):18: syntax error, unexpected tIDENTIFIER
                                                    i = #i + 1

How can I realize “i = i + 1" operation in ruby code section?
Thank you.,

If I use global variable $i to replace local variable i, it still fired an issue in the below:

[2019-09-02T16:05:32,636][ERROR][org.logstash.Logstash    ] java.lang.IllegalStateException: Logstash stopped processing because of an error: (SyntaxError) (ruby filter code):18: syntax error, unexpected tGVAR
                                                $i = #$i + 1

Who can help me check it, this issue is blocking a long duration for me...

As it is Ruby, there are a few ways, however I don't think #i works as you expect. the # character is a single line comment until EOL character.

What the compiler is seeing is

value = pmmeasValue["r"][
  hash[key] = value
  i =
end

Just use i e.g. value = pmmeasValue["r"][i]["content"].to_i

To increment a variable you can use any of:

i = i + 1
i += 1
i = i.succ
1 Like

Hi expert,

You are right, i have removed the "#" in my code and showed as below:

if "_xmlparsefailure" not in [tags]{
        ruby {
                code => '
                        res = []
                        pmMeasInfo = event.get("[parsed][measData][0][measInfo]")
                        pmMeasInfo.each do |pr|

hash = Hash.new
                                i = 0

pmmeasValue = pr["measValue"][0]
                                pmmeasType = pr["measType"][0]
                                hash["measObJ"] = pmmeasValue["measObjLdn"]

pmmeasType.each do |pt|
                                        key = pt["content"]
                                        value = pmmeasValue["r"][i]["content"].to_i
                                        hash[key] = value
                                        i = i + 1
                                end

res.push(hash)
                        end

event.set("pm",res)
                '
        }
}

Now my pattern can be executed, but here is another issued logs when I parsed the target logs, would you please help me check it? Thank you.

2019-09-03T09:36:42,960][ERROR][logstash.filters.ruby ] Ruby exception occurred: no implicit conversion of String into Integer

It is hard to help, I need more info.

Please you post an example of the value that the field [parsed][measData].

Hi Guyboertje,

I have adjust my ruby code, then this issue is resolved, the cause is i have referred the wrong data format that can't adapt the source log. Thank you.

But when I load my logstash script to parse my source log, i have met another performance issue.

`

[2019-09-03T14:21:49,106][WARN ][logstash.outputs.elasticsearch] Could not index event to Elasticsearch. {:status=>400, :action=>["index", {:_id=>nil, :_index=>"logstash-2019.09.03", :_type=>"_doc", :_routing=>nil}, #LogStash::Event:0x1b6c342a], :response=>{"index"=>{"_index"=>"logstash-2019.09.03", "_type"=>"_doc", "_id"=>"4_PJ9WwB6iwMcN-ZT20T", "status"=>400, "error"=>{"type"=>"illegal_argument_exception", "reason"=>"Limit of total fields [1000] in index [logstash-2019.09.03] has been exceeded"}}}}

`
Would you please help me check it? It seems a parameter that limit the max index count. Of course I have found a solution, but I don't know how to use it.

The detailed information you can access this ticket:

Regarding to logstash performance limit Logstash

Hi experts, I have met a logstash performance limit issue, when I parse my log, logstash report this error log: ` [2019-09-03T14:21:49,106][WARN ][logstash.outputs.elasticsearch] Could not index event to Elasticsearch. {:status=>400, :action=>["index", {:_id=>nil, :_index=>"logstash-2019.09.03", :_type=>"_doc", :_routing=>nil}, #LogStash::Event:0x1b6c342a], :response=>{"index"=>{"_index"=>"logstash-2019.09.03", "_type"=>"_doc", "_id"=>"4_PJ9WwB6iwMcN-ZT20T", "status"=>400, "error"=>{"type"=>"…

Thank you again.
[/quote]

Please put the latest error in a new post. More people will see it and help or it will help them if they search for similar.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.