HTTP Request details

I'm doing a new deployment, and playing around with the java APM agent. We are using Apache HTTPClient (supported version), and I can see that I can spans created for requests, but I don't see things like what the URL is for the request, just host, port, stuff like that. I did see I can capture the request body, but what about the rest of the URL?

Welcome @Scott_Chapman1 !

The URL (e.g. http path) should be captured out of the box.
Could you provide the exact apache HTTPClient version you are using?

The elasticsearch document of the client-span and maybe a minimal code example to reproduce your problems would be very helpful aswell.

I am using 4.3.3 version of the HTTPClient. When I look for information on the APM page (I am running 8.5) I see transactions for task that are run, and I see the HTTP requests in the dependencies where they are only showing me the the hostname & port.

The dependencies tab and the service map only show the basic network connection information (host & port) as you said.

In order to see the details of outgoing HTTP requests, you need to open the details of the transactions containing the outgoing requests. There you can see the distributed traces for your transaction. Within those, you can click on the spans corresponding to your outgoing HTTP calls to see all the HTTP details.

Ah, there we go. Is it possible for me to see transactions that contain spans that meet certain criteria? (like I want to see spans that include an HTTP request to a specific end point or that fail)

Unfortunately traces can currently only be searched based on transaction attributes, not on spans (which your HTTP calls are).

However, there is an experimental UI which does exactly what you want, the Trace explorer.
You can enable it under the Stack Management settings as shown in the following screenshot:

This enabled the "Explorer"-Tab under the Traces APM UI. There you can filter traces based on span attributes:

Hmmm... I don't see that, is it new to 8.6?

I just checked with an 8.5.0 cluster, the setting is there. You have to navigate at the top right ("Burger") to Management and there click on Stack Management .
This leads you to the view from my first screenshot, where you can then enable APM Trace Explorer after navigating to Advanced Settings on the left under Kibana.

Turns out I lied; I am on 8.2, I'm going to be upgrading our operator and ES to current versions in the next day or so

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.