Index tag in Logstash output doesn't seem to work

(Randall Williams) #1

While testing Winlogbeat we set the index in the Logstash output but never see it getting passed. Anyone else seeing similar to this?

What I have set in my yml:

Optional index name. The default index name depends on the each beat.

# For Packetbeat, the default is set to packetbeat, for Topbeat
# top topbeat and for Filebeat to filebeat.
index: "testindex"

Sample of my output:
{"message":"The Windows Installer service entered the running state.","@version":"1","@timestamp":"2015-05-15T17:24:00.483Z","beat":{"hostname":"rawill1014","name":"rawill"},"computer_name":"rawill1014.blah.blah.net","count":1,"event_id":7036,"level":"Information","log_name":"System","record_number":"81567","source_name":"Service Control Manager","tags":["winlogbeat","web-tier"],"type":"wineventlog","host":"rawill1014","LS":"LS1-368"}

I this is what I see when I do a file output to see what fields are being passed around.

(Andrew Kroh) #2

The @metadata field that contains the index field is only generated by the Logstash output. You won't see it in the file output.

(Andrew Kroh) #3

Use this in your Logstash output if you want to view the @metadata contents:

stdout { codec => rubydebug { metadata => true } }

@metadata is always filtered by Logstash outputs.

Reference: https://www.elastic.co/guide/en/logstash/current/event-dependent-configuration.html#metadata

(Randall Williams) #4

Just tried that changed the value in the yml for index to BBBBBBBBB so it would be easy to find. It did not come out like I thought it would instead the value being in tag index it's in tag "beat". So is this the way it's going to work?

"@metadata" => {
"beat" => "BBBBBBBBB",
"type" => "wineventlog"
}

(Andrew Kroh) #5

Yes, that is what I expected.

In your LS config you would use something like:

elasticsearch {
    hosts => "localhost:9200"
    manage_template => false
    index => "%{[@metadata][beat]}-%{+YYYY.MM.dd}"
    document_type => "%{[@metadata][type]}"
  }

Reference: https://www.elastic.co/guide/en/beats/libbeat/current/getting-started.html#logstash-setup

(Andrew Kroh) #6