Issues configuring AWS Module for MetricBeat

Hello. I'm attempting to set up the AWS module for the first time with MetricBeat. I've got the module enabled, got past the authentication errors I was seeing (created an AWS user with full "ReadOnlyPolicy"), and updated the aws.yml file. I am seeing a little bit of information, which is telling me that my account authorization is working. However, the only 2 services I'm seeing statistics for is EC2 and S3. I'm using the Kibana dashboards I loaded from Elastic for AWS. Here are the issues I'm seeing:

EC2 - only seeing 5 instances - choices seem random
EBS - no statistics at all
RDS - no statistics at all
Usage - seeing minor stats for EC2 and Cloudwatch, but dashboard is saying:
Could not locate that index-pattern-field (id: aws.usage.metrics.ResourceCount.sum)
Could not locate that index-pattern-field (id: aws.usage.metrics.CallCount.sum)

So, I'm definitely connected, but I'm getting very inconsistent data. Here is what my YML looks like:

- module: aws
  period: 5m
  metricsets:
    - cloudwatch
  metrics:
    - namespace: "*"
    #- namespace: AWS/EC2
      #name: ["CPUUtilization", "DiskWriteOps"]
    #  tags.resource_type_filter: ec2:instance
    #- namespace: AWS/EBS
    #- namespace: AWS/ELB
    #- namespace: AWS/Billing
    #- namespace: AWS/DX
    #- namespace: AWS/ElasticBeanstalk
    #- namespace: AWS/Lambda
    #- namespace: AWS/Redshift
    #- namespace: AWS/RDS
    #- namespace: AWS/Route53
    #- namespace: AWS/S3
    #- namespace: AWS/VPN
  access_key_id: 'key'
  secret_access_key: key’
  metricsets:
    - dynamodb
    - ebs
    - ec2
    - lambda
    - rds
    - sns
    - sqs
    - vpn
    - usage
    - elb
  access_key_id: ‘key’
  secret_access_key: ‘key’
  period: 12h
  metricsets:
    - billing
  regions:
    - us-east-1
  period: 24h
  metricsets:
    - s3_daily_storage
    - s3_request

Have you run ./metribeat setup to deploy assets into Kibana and Elasticsearch?

@kvch Yes, I ran it. I had first set up metricbeat to gather some CPU statistics and such, so I believe I ran it at that time. I did a quick "history" check on Linux and I did run this a couple of times. I have since moved on to try and setup AWS and are running into these issues.

Hi! For only seeing 5 EC2 instances, do you mean from the EC2 dashboard? That's because in the dashboard, for better view, we have a limit on how many instances to show (top 5). You can change this limit under each visualization.

For config like this:

metricsets:
    - cloudwatch
  metrics:
    - namespace: "*"

You will be collecting all metrics from CloudWatch, which might introduce a large amount of AWS API cost. Just want to make sure you are aware of this :smile:

Regarding to no statistics for EBS/RDS, do you see metrics from EBS/RDS in Kibana Discover?

Thanks @Kaiyan_Sheng. Ok, so I found the visualization limit for EC2 and changed that from 5 to 20. So, I'm good there.

For RDS, I noticed in the visualization that the default index pattern was something other than metricbeat for some reason. So, I changed that to MetricBeat:

Next, I picked one of the visualizations - just chose the "database connections" one. Here I can see the correct index now, but there was no field selected. So, I chose aws.rds.database_connections. That seems to be populating that visualiaztion with data now, however, this is going to be a bit painful to try and choose the appropriate fields for all the visualizations. Any idea why these are not set and what they should be for the various visualizations?

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.