Java APM Agent throws ClassNotFoundException in Wildfly

We are using the Java APM agent v1.1.0 for monitoring a webapp in Wildfly 9.0.2.FINAL running on OpenJDK 8.
Everything works fine, until the the apm-agent-api is thrown into the mix. Whenever we access the ElasticApm class, it throws a ClassNotFoundException.
I've created a tiny HelloWorld example for reproducing the exception on github.

The Agent api is correctly included in the application war. However the api classes are simply not loaded.

Things I've tried:

• Adding JBOSS_MODULES_SYSTEM_PKGS="co.elastic.apm"
  • Deploying the apm-agent-api as a global-module
  • Deploying the example to newest Wildfly 14.0.2.FINAL

Nothing helps. APM logs here
Stacktrace here

Until this is solved I suggest adding a note to Wildfly in Supported technologies.

Hi,

it looks like the apm-agent-api jar did not make it into your .war/WEB-INF/lib could you verify that?

Cheers,
Felix

Hi,
The apm-agent-api.jar is correctly included in the .war/WEB-INF/lib directory alongside other dependencies.

I was able to reproduce this in this PR: https://github.com/elastic/apm-agent-java/pull/361

I have the suspicion that this is related to the enabled bootdelegation for co.elastic.apm.*. That may make it so that these classes can only be loaded from the bootstrap class loader and not from the application class loader where the API module is at.

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.