Kibana new metric visualization too small and doesn't show full value

Hello Leandro and thank you for reaching out, your input is really valuable and we are trying to gather as much as we can in order to see where we can improve.

First of all, what are we doing to improve your specific case:

1. We are lowering the breakpoint value (250px of panel width, instead of 300) in order to display the Large font settings a little earlier, since we noticed that you were getting the Medium set of sizes at a very "borderline" width.
  2. We are currently discussing on how to fix the formatting of the values.

The following image show what should be the final result:

Now, I'm sure a possible reaction would be "that's not big enough" and I see that, this is why I'd love to explain you a little bit the thinking behind that.

Originally, Metrics would adapt font-sizes according to the number of digits, this would create a set of problems. First of all, bigger quantities would appear smaller than little values (20000 would appear perceptually smaller than 20).
Second, all metrics would appear different from each other. The following image is a clear example of both cases:

We needed to have some logic behind these sizes then, and we decided to introduce a new layout and a new set of breakpoints that would allow us to have a little bit of control on the visual results. With our new layout, to show the difference, the previous image would look like this:

Higher readability, less cognitive load, hopefully a cleaner design and look.

Now, for your specific case, you may ask why did we choose that specific font-size? Because it is designed to display at least 7 digits, few punctuation marks and the measurement unit in that amount of space

I know this may all sound as a limitation, but it all goes in a design direction the aims at creating a wider consistency among charts.
We are obviously open to re-consider these breakpoints and sizes and to adapt them according to our users needs and cases, so please keep on reaching out with these kind of issues, they are particularly helpful for the design team.

In the meanwhile, just to give another little update, we know the Bullet Graph is not great at the moment, a design update on that one is coming too

All the best,
Giovanni

1 Like