Life without mapping types (6.0)

I am trying to wrap my brain around the removal of mapping types in 6.0. Removal of mapping types | Elasticsearch Guide [8.11] | Elastic

1. It seems that join and parent-child are almost completely analogous to the one to many concept in a relational database. However, in the example in the docs, Join field type | Elasticsearch Guide [8.11] | Elastic, the child questions are not sorted with, or under, their parent questions, which I would think would be the default, and most common, use case.
  • Can it be done that way, despite this example?
  • Would, or could, the parent show up as a facet in a search for child, and vice-versa?
  • I've seen something like this done with breadcrumbs, but does elasticsearch leave all that to the backend script (python, java, php, etc)?
  1. Since both questions in the example have the same name, and differ only by id, that means you have to know the id. I'm using uuids, which are kind of hard to memorize, so searching with a filter is out. Is the workaround to give them different names, or is this 'same name' example an inherent part of this new (non) schema?

2. Conceptually, I would think 'my_join_field' is the one that ties a parent to its children, but instead it seems to tie documents to their siblings. I find that semantically confusing and not a user friendly choice, which is not remedied by the "my_join_field#question" syntax. That's obviously a comment and not a question, so I'll ask where I can give my user feedback to someone who not only cares but is in a position to do something about it?

3. Where does all of this leave a many to many relation? My search for 'manytomany' and 'many to many' also came up empty.

4. I am using the python dsl client, which makes it easy to wrap my existing models into DocTypes. Is that no longer possible, or will require a major refactor on my part?

• And if there is going to be a rewrite of the client, when will that happen?
  1. Should all of these questions have been separate posts?

2. Similar prior questions:

Closed with no answer

3 level parent child no longer recommended. Join field type | Elasticsearch Guide [8.11] | Elastic

Closed with no answer

3 days old as of this moment, but no answer yet.

I tried to give some thoughts in the other post you sent about this:

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.