Logastash Exec plugin Cannot allocate memory

I am running Logstash 7.9.1 with 24 GB of maximum heap size configured in a Linux machine with 30 GB Memory and configured a pipeline to run a python program with Logstash exec plugin I see the below error message in logs.

Error while running command {:command=>"/usr/bin/python3 /opt/logstash/config/sql.py", :e=>#<Errno::ENOMEM: Cannot allocate memory - /usr/bin/python3>,

I did observe total JVM utilization is less than 15 GB. Below is my Logstash input configuration

input {
  exec {
    command => "/usr/bin/python3 /opt/logstash/config/sql.py"
    interval => 180

}
}

If you use an exec plugin then the logstash JVM will fork. That creates a copy of the JVM's memory (excluding most shared memory segments). That means that on a 30GB server you will struggle to have the JVM memory be larger than 14 GB, so I would suggest a heap size of 12 GB at most. If you still get ENOMEM at 12 GB then keep reducing the heap size.

1 Like

@Badger Thanks for your quick reply issue got resolved after configuring the maximum JVM heap to 14 GB.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.