Logstash 5 unexpected error occurred queue must be a writable

I installed Logstash using the following guide (I also have Elasticseach and Kibana 5) on an Ubuntu 16.0x base.

https://www.elastic.co/guide/en/logstash/current/getting-started-with-logstash.html

Logstash appears to work from the command, but when I try to start it as a service, I get the following error.

[2016-12-13T14:13:38,292][FATAL][logstash.runner          ] An unexpected error occurred! {:error=>#<ArgumentError: Path "/usr/share/logstash/data/queue" must be a writable directory. It is not writable.>, :backtrace=>["/usr/share/logstash/logstash-core/lib/logstash/settings.rb:420:in `validate'", "/usr/share/logstash/logstash-core/lib/logstash/settings.rb:202:in `validate_value'", "/usr/share/logstash/logstash-core/lib/logstash/settings.rb:118:in `validate_all'", "org/jruby/RubyHash.java:1342:in `each'", "/usr/share/logstash/logstash-core/lib/logstash/settings.rb:117:in `validate_all'", "/usr/share/logstash/logstash-core/lib/logstash/runner.rb:205:in `execute'", "/usr/share/logstash/vendor/bundle/jruby/1.9/gems/clamp-0.6.5/lib/clamp/command.rb:67:in `run'", "/usr/share/logstash/logstash-core/lib/logstash/runner.rb:178:in `run'", "/usr/share/logstash/vendor/bundle/jruby/1.9/gems/clamp-0.6.5/lib/clamp/command.rb:132:in `run'", "/usr/share/logstash/lib/bootstrap/environment.rb:71:in `(root)'"]}

Cat /var/log/syslog | grep logstash has the following, it looks like the service is trying to start over and over:

Dec 13 14:13:37 lab-elk50 logstash[22670]: Sending Logstash's logs to /var/log/logstash which is now configured via log4j2.properties
Dec 13 14:13:38 lab-elk50 systemd[1]: logstash.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE
Dec 13 14:13:38 lab-elk50 systemd[1]: logstash.service: Unit entered failed state.
Dec 13 14:13:38 lab-elk50 systemd[1]: logstash.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
Dec 13 14:13:38 lab-elk50 systemd[1]: logstash.service: Service hold-off time over, scheduling restart.
Dec 13 14:13:38 lab-elk50 systemd[1]: Stopped logstash.
Dec 13 14:13:38 lab-elk50 systemd[1]: Started logstash.

(I set it up as a service in auto start with systemd using
sudo /bin/systemctl daemon-reload
sudo /bin/systemctl enable logstash.service`Preformatted text`

Please edit your post and format your log snippet as preformatted text. When you don't do that, the really important part of the log message (the stuff that follows :errors=>#) is filtered out.

Thanks!

I changed it as requested. Any ideas why Logstash won't startup as a service, it works from the command line.

Thanks again!

I changed it as requested.

Next time, format the the log snippet as preformatted text. Not the whole post.

Well, here's your error message:

Path "/usr/share/logstash/data/queue" must be a writable directory. It is not writable.

So, make sure the directory is writable for the Logstash user.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.