Logstash 6.2.1 - windows memory issues

Hello

I am having memory allocation and saturation issues with logstash. My logstash configuration has memory allocation of 20GB set in the jvm options(-Xms20g -Xmx20g) but after starting the service the total memory allocated is not 20GB but starts in the low 1 GB and steadily increases upto 20 GB over a period time. The pipeline processing is quick initially but once it reaches the maximum allocation 20GB the processing of logs slows down dramatically. I have to restart logstash and it picks pace again. I have persistent queue enabled. My questions is

• When installing logstash in windows is it supposed to allocate the 20 GB once the service is started ? But in ES the allocation is done to the value specified in the jvm.options when the service starts.
  • Why does the log processing saturate after reaching the maximum allocation ? Not sure if the GC is kicking in or not.

My configuration
3 logstash instances 8core CPU and 30 GB RAM
pipeline.workers: 16
pipeline.output.workers: 8
pipeline.batch.size: 1000

Pipeline has 8 filebeat inputs and outputs which writes to multiple time based indexes around 40 based on the incoming data.
6 data nodes in ES. I don't see any errors in the ES nodes.

Let me know if further details are required to answer my question.

Using JvisualVM I managed to figure out what is happening in the heap and adjusted my pipeline settings accordingly. So far so good.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.