Logstash 6.2.4 Ruby Issue

Hi,
I have a Logstash script in which I have created some ruby functions. I have placed them at the beginning of my logstash filter so in this way, they are declared before they are called.

The script works fine when I run it using logstash-5.5.2 but when I try to run it using logstash-6.2.4, it starts giving me method undefined error which I can't seem to resolve.

Any help in this matter will be appreciated.
Thank you in anticipation.

How could we possibly help out without knowing a) what your Logstash configuration looks like and b) what exact error message you're getting?

Below is my Logstash configuration:

input
{
  beats 
  {
    port => 5044
  }
}
filter
{
  ruby
  {
    code => "def setLogStatus(event, map)
                 if event.get('port') =~ /\d/
                    event.set('status','ORDER_ID_LOG_SENT');
                 else
                    event.set('status','ORDER_ID_LOG_RECEIVED');
                 end
             end"
  }

# some other functions & grok here

grok
  {
    match => ["message", "method=%{DATA:event}, %{DATA:data}, to local server: http://(?:%{IPV6}|%{IPV4}):%{NOTSPACE:port}/%{DATA:data}"] 
  }   

ruby
  { 
    code => "setLogStatus(event, @@map);"
  }
}
output
{
  elasticsearch 
  { 
    hosts => ["${ELASTICSEARCH_URL}"]
    index => "${INDEX_NAME}-%{+YYYY-MM-dd}"
  }
}

The error I get is following:
Ruby exception occurred: undefined method `setLogStatus' for #LogStash::Filters::Ruby:0x4f112952

Stuff inside code doesn't survive between different ruby filters. I think it'll work if you instead put it in the ruby filter's init option, but I don't understand why you're complicating things. What's the point of defining a function instead of just inlining the code in the ruby filter where you need the code?

I have a file which has almost 800 lines of code so inlining the code is not a good idea for me specially if I consider re-usability.

Yes, you are right. Stuff inside code doesn't survive between different ruby filters but what I don't understand is how it was working in the previous version of logstash.

Also, I tried it in init but it wasn't working so I had to use inline option.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.