Logstash 7.17 on Windows - Pipeline running but logs are not present in Elasticsearch

Hi,

I'm on Windows 10.
I'm building a pipeline with Filebeat / Logstash / Elasticsearch / Kibana. Each one of them is at the latest version (downloaded thie previous week).

I'm trying to ship a simple log file (ndjson format). It works perfectly from the Kibana interface (machine learning tab). So I guess the format is correct.

But it doesn't work via Logstash directly.

Here a line from my log file:
{"time":"2022-02-16T15:49:53.000Z", "path":"page0", "status":2}

All the tools are with default configuration.

I made few changes in the filebeat.yml file:

• I uncomment the logstash output
  • Set the input path with the same path logstash use to search for the log (see config below).

This is my Logstash config file:

input {
  file {
    path => "C:/Users/bianca6/Documents/test_env/my_logs/logs_from_loki/*.log"
    start_position => "beginning"
    sincedb_path => "NULL"
  }
}
output { 
  elasticsearch { 
    hosts => ["localhost:9200"]
	index => "loki_logs"
  }
  stdout { codec => rubydebug }
}

This is my terminal output, I don't notice any error:

And this is it... Everything is running, and nothing appears in Kibana.

Thanks a lot for your time, does anyone have an idea?

That will persist the in-memory sincedb across restarts in a file called NULL in logstash's working directory. If you do not want the sincedb persisted then use "NUL".

If that does not fix things, then set --log.level trace and look for messages from the filewatch module.

1 Like

Hi, first of all thanks for your reply!

I did:

sincedb_path => "NUL"

It did not fix things. So, I run with the flag:

--log.level trace 

And I got a lot of logs. I read them all and did not see something wrong, here are few lines (I removed the timestamp and ids to make it shorter):

• Firts the path
# This is the correct path
[DEBUG][logstash.inputs.file     ] config LogStash::Inputs::File/@start_position = "beginning"

[DEBUG][logstash.inputs.file     ] config LogStash::Inputs::File/@path = ["C:/Users/bianca6/Documents/test_env/my_logs/logs_from_loki/*.log"]

[logstash.inputs.file     ] config LogStash::Inputs::File/@id = "<very long id>"

[logstash.inputs.file     ] config LogStash::Inputs::File/@sincedb_path = "NUL"
  • Then the file
[INFO ][filewatch.observingtail  ][main][<very long id>] START, creating Discoverer, Watch with file and sincedb collections

/* It found one file, and I have one */
[TRACE][filewatch.discoverer     ][main][<very long id>] discover_files {:count=>1}

/* This is the correct filename */
[TRACE][filewatch.discoverer     ][main][<very long id>] handling: {:new_discovery=>true, :watched_file=>"<FileWatch::WatchedFile: @filename='1645027880.log', @state=:watched, @recent_states=[:watched], @bytes_read=0, @bytes_unread=0, current_size=64000, last_stat_size=64000, file_open?=false, @initial=true, sincedb_key='1222633604-121961-2293760 0 0'>"}
  • Finaly, an endless loop like this
[DEBUG][logstash.instrument.periodicpoller.jvm] collector name {:name=>"scavenge"}

[DEBUG][logstash.instrument.periodicpoller.jvm] collector name {:name=>"global"}

[filewatch.tailmode.processor][main][<very long id>] process_closed

[filewatch.tailmode.processor][main][<very long id>] process_ignored

[TRACE][filewatch.tailmode.processor][main][<very long id>] process_delayed_delete

[TRACE][filewatch.tailmode.processor][main][<very long id>] process_restat_for_watched_and_active

[TRACE][filewatch.tailmode.processor][main][<very long id>] process_rotation_in_progress

[TRACE][filewatch.tailmode.processor][main][<very long id>] process_watched

[TRACE][filewatch.tailmode.processor][main][<very long id>] process_active

[TRACE][filewatch.tailmode.processor][main][<very long id>] process_active no change {:path=>"1645027880.log"}

[TRACE][filewatch.tailmode.processor][main][<very long id>] process_closed

I see the same steps again and again, but I think this is just my pipeline running and waiting new files? Or is it an error?

Final result is, I still don't have any logs on Elas/Kib...

OK, so it found the file. It says the file size is 64000, it has not read anything from the file (@bytes_read=0), and does not think it needs to read anything from the file (@bytes_unread=0). That would suggest either start_position => "end", or sincedb_path != "NUL", neither of which is true. I cannot explain it.

Is there any log which can tell me something as "I'm Logstash, I sent to Elasticsearch this and that" and "I'm Elasticsearch, I just received from Logstash this and that"?

Hey,

Configuration was good except the Grok.
Just added it and it works fine.

For my case it looks like this:

filter {
  grok {
    match => {"message" => '"%{TIMESTAMP_ISO8601:timestamp}" "%{WORD:mymetric}" %{INT:myvalue}'}
  }
}

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.