Logstash: access name of current pipeline within cfg?

Is it possible to access the name of the current pipeline within cfg?

For example, my pipelines.yml might contain:

- pipeline.id: pipeline.triage
  path.config: "/etc/logstash/pipelines/pipeline.triage.conf"
- pipeline.id: pipeline.fallback
  path.config: "/etc/logstash/pipelines/pipeline.fallback.conf"

Within pipeline.triage.conf, I want to have something like:

mutate {
    add_field => { "[pipeline][history]" => "%{[_pipeline]}" ]
  }

Goal: I would like [pipeline][history] to end up with a literal value of pipeline.fallback, but without having to hardcode that value in the config.

I hoped that Accessing Event Data and Fields in the Configuration might contain a hint, but if it's there, I couldn't see it.

Hello,
At the moment it's not possible to have the name of the pipeline from the [@metadata] fields, but you can get them via Ruby using:

ruby { code => "event.set(\"pipeline_id\", execution_context.pipeline.pipeline_id)" }

Please note this will trigger an error if you're not using multiple pipelines.

Hope it helps!

Best regards,
Luca

Very useful. Thank you @Luca_Belluccini.

Is there some documentation which covers execution_context and its attributes? I did have a look, but couldn't find it.

I agree it's missing from the documentation, but probably because this is a non-public attribute which is passed to all plugins (inputs, filters, outputs - see here). It is subject to change without notice.

We could raise an issue to check if this is expected to be public or not in the future.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.