Logstash assign key value pair into each variables

(vallinayagam) #1

Hello All,

I'm 3 day new to log stash and during this learning process, I tried to filter the unstructured log which contains key & value pairs and want to assign each values to variables.

Unstructured log:

017-04-04 16:01:16,726 - test.test. - DEBUG - notify_event=[u'[{"Key1":"Value1","Key2":Value2,"Key3": Value3,"}]']

Configuration file:
input {
file {
path => "/home/vallikkv/ELK/log/messages"
type => "messages"
}
}

filter {
grok {
match => { "message" => "%{TIMESTAMP_ISO8601} - test.test. - %{LOGLEVEL} - notify_event=%{GREEDYDATA:msg}" }
}
json{
source => msg
}
}

output {
stdout{}
}

Questions:

1. How to get the values of each keys of the GREEDYDATA or msg and save it in a file?
  2. How can I pass only these key & value pairs to elasticsearch?

(Christian Dahlqvist) #2

It looks like the JSON part of the log is malformed. If it was valid JSON, your configuration probably should work as long as you modify the GREEDYMESSAGE to just capture {"Key1":"Value1","Key2":Value2,"Key3":"Value3"}.

(Magnus Bäck) #3

Is "Value2" and "Value3" really not double-quoted like "Value1" is?

(vallinayagam) #4

Yes, Double quoted contains string values and no quotes for numbers/integers.

Eg: {"Name": "Vallinayagam", "Age": 30}

(Christian Dahlqvist) #5

Given that the example is invalid JSON and looks made up, it might be better to show a real event.

(vallinayagam) #6

Real event:
2017-04-13 11:50:58,272 - test.TEST. - DEBUG - notify_event=[u'[{"Description":"Card expid","Location":"Main Door","LogTime":"2017-04-13T11:50:58","OccurenceTime":"2017-04-13T11:50:57","Token":"123456","Type":4,"OperatorDetail":{"FirstName":"Simon","LastName":"Rampling"}}]']

(Magnus Bäck) #7

Okay, so what follows "notify_event=" looks like a stringified Python array containing a single string value. You can use grok to only capture what's between notify_event=[u' and '], then feed the extracted JSON string to a json filter.

(vallinayagam) #8

Thanks for pointing out, I changed the grok filter as below

filter {
grok {
match => { "message" => "%{TIMESTAMP_ISO8601} - test.TEST. - %{LOGLEVEL} - notify_event=[%{WORD}'[%{GREEDYDATA:msg}]']" }
}
json{
source => msg
}
}

and it worked. But I've some basic questions w.r.t display in kibana.

Configured output as below:

output {
elasticsearch {
hosts => ["localhost:9200"]
}
stdout{codec => "rubydebug"}
}

1. How to view these logs in kibana & search in elasticsearch?
  2. How these outputs as redirected to elasticsearch? Is it realtime data or how to save it in a file?

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

(Magnus Bäck) #9

How to view these logs in kibana & search in elasticsearch?

Go to Kibana, configure an index pattern that matches your index(es), and you're done. With your configuration Logstash is going to write to indexes named logstash-YYYY.MM.DD, where YYYY.MM.DD is the date when an event occurred.

How these outputs as redirected to elasticsearch? Is it realtime data or how to save it in a file?

Logstash sends the data to Elasticsearch continuously. If things are working okay events written to log files should be searchable in Kibana within a few seconds.

(system) #10

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.