Logstash Condiational Filtering Issue with Geo Location

Hi Everyone,

Sorry if this is answered somewhere else and I would appreciate if you can help.

I'm sending logs from FortiGate to Logstash and I want to set geoip location to be sent to Elasticsearch. Since some traffic on the FortiGate is from internal private IPs, including external VPNs etc., I want to somehow tell Logstash that when the destination is not the Internet-facing interface it should use a public address (here for test 8.8.8.8), and when it sees the traffic comes from the internal interface (Port10), it should use the NAT IP

This is the filter I wrote, but it gives error

if "dstintf" != "port1" {
    geoip {
      default_database_type => "City"
      source => "8.8.8.8"
      tag_on_failure => ["_dst_city_geo_failure"]
      target => "dst_ip"
    }
  } else {
      source => "dstip"
      tag_on_failure => ["_dst_city_geo_failure"]
      target => "dst_ip"
    }

if "srcintf" == "port10" {
  geoip {
    source => "transip"
    tag_on_failure => ["_src_city_geo_failure"]
    target => "src_ip"
    }
  } else {
      source => "srcip"
      tag_on_failure => ["_src_city_geo_failure"]
      target => "src_ip"
    }

This is the error I get:

[WARN ] 2023-09-22 16:19:10.754 [[main]>worker0] elasticsearch - Could not index event to Elasticsearch. {:status=>400, :action=>["index", {:_id=>nil, :_index=>"firewall-2023.09.22", :routing=>nil}, {HERE THE PAIR VALUES OF LOGS ARE, I REMOVED THEM FOR READABILITY PURPOSE}], :response=>{"index"=>{"_index"=>"fortigate-2023.09.22", "_id"=>"w9qKu4oBu3VwOasdztwD", "status"=>400, "error"=>{"type"=>"document_parsing_exception", "reason"=>"[1:717] failed to parse field [src_loc] of type [geo_point]", "caused_by"=>{"type"=>"parse_exception", "reason"=>"latitude must be a number"}}}}}

Where are you setting the src_loc field? elasticsearch will parse several different formats for a geo_point, but in all of them latitude and longitude have to be recognizable as numbers.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.