Logstash config with Grok

Hi Everyone,

I am trying to config logstash parse the log with 3 field : date & time (dts), Log level (lvl) and rest message.
But the out put always show timestamp is not correct, timestamp i want to show is the time in the log error but it show the time of local machine. Please give me advice. Below are logstash conf anf the output FYI

-> The error sample is: 2022-03-15 12:42:28.5801 INFO 1 Com.Bmc.Ctmem.EmCSInfrustructure.EMFoundations.GetEMLogLocation C:\Program Files\BMC Software\Control-M EM\CBMTCTCAPR01_0\log\

-> logstash conf:
input {
beats {
port => 5044
}
}

filter
{
grok { match => { "message" => "%{TIMESTAMP_ISO8601:dts}%{SPACE}%{LOGLEVEL:lvl}%{GREEDYDATA:rest}" }}
date { match => ["dts" , "yyyy-MM-dd HH:mm:ss,SSSS"]
}
}
output {
stdout {
codec => rubydebug
}
}
-> tghe output as screenshot

Thanks all

Hi @iceman0410,

Below is the grok pattern which worked from me -

Logtstash default adds @timestamp field with local timestamp. You can overwrite it using date filter like below.

input {
  # Your input configuration here
}

filter {
  grok {
    match => { "message" => "%{TIMESTAMP_ISO8601:log_timestamp} %{WORD:level} %{NUMBER:info_number} %{GREEDYDATA:class} %{GREEDYDATA:file_path}" }
  }
  date {
    match => [ "log_timestamp", "yyyy-MM-dd HH:mm:ss.SSSSSSSSS" ]
    target => "@timestamp"
  }
}

output {
  # Your output configuration here
}

Your logtimestamp field has ss.SSSS, not ss,SSSS

Please do not post pictures of text, some folks cannot see them, they are not searchable, and we cannot copy/paste them to try to reproduce the issue.

1 Like

Thanks @ashishtiwari1993 , it is working now

Thanks @Badger ,
i added one more grok filter for another parser filter. Could you help me check logstash conf below?

Logstash conf :

input {
beats {
port => 5044
}
}

filter
{
grok { match => { "message" => "%{TIMESTAMP_ISO8601:dts}%{SPACE}%{LOGLEVEL:lvl}%{GREEDYDATA:rest}" }}
date { match => [ "dts" , "yyyy-MM-dd HH:mm:ss.SSSS" ]
target => "@timestamp"
}
grok { match => { "message" => "(?%{DATE_EU}%{SPACE}%{TIME})%{GREEDYDATA:rest}"}}
date { match => [ "dts" , "dd/MM/yyyy HH:mm:ss.SSS" ]
tagret => "@timestamp"
}
}
output {
stdout {
codec => rubydebug
}
}

The error sample:
30/03/2022 07:50:44.590 [0] emthriftserviceclientfactory EMTHttpClientPoolInitializer::clearPool clearPool called.

Thanks everyone

You could try

grok { match => { "message" => [
        "%{TIMESTAMP_ISO8601:dts} %{WORD:level} %{NUMBER:info_number} %{JAVACLASS:class} %{GREEDYDATA:file_path}",
        "(?<dts>%{DATE_EU}%{SPACE}%{TIME})%{GREEDYDATA:rest}"
        ]
    } }
    date {
        match => [ "dts", "yyyy-MM-dd HH:mm:ss.SSSSSSSSS", "dd/MM/YYYY HH:mm:ss.SSS" ]
     }
1 Like

Thanks @Badger , it is working

Hi @Badger ,
i have another log as below

0711 06:40:23.726:pid=119813:ERR:../../proto/ssl/openssl_tls.c:359:SSLsess=2472cd0:SSL_connect:SSL_ERROR_SYSCALL: write error system error 104
My grok:
%{MONTHNUM:month}%{MONTHDAY:day}%{SPACE}%{TIME:time}%{NOTSPACE}%{LOGLEVEL:LVL}%{GREEDYDATA:REST}

output can not get pid. Could you please give advice. Thanks
[
{
"month": 7,
"day": 11,
"time": "06:40:23.726",
"LVL": "ERROR",
"REST": "_SYSCALL: write error system error 104"
}
]

This is throwing away the pid. Try retaining that field by naming it, then refine the pattern to extract the pid.

1 Like

Thanks @Badger . it is working with grok below:
?%{MONTHNUM:month}%{MONTHDAY:day}%{SPACE}%{TIME:time})%{DATA:PID}%{SPACE}%{LOGLEVEL:LVL}%{GREEDYDATA:REST}

Could you advice for another sample below. it's contained AM/PM format:
"Jul 11, 2022 6:44:49 AM org.bouncycastle.jsse.provider.ProvTrustManagerFactorySpi getDefaultTrustStore INFO: Initializing with trust store at path: /app/ctrlm-agent/ctm/cm/AFT/JRE_11/lib/security/cacerts"

Thanks

Define a custom pattern for the grok and then parse it in the date filter using MMM dd, yyyy hh:mm:ss a. (Note hh rather than HH since this is hour of the half-day.)

Hi @Badger ,

I tried:
(?%{MONTH:month} %{MONTHDAY:day}, %{YEAR:year} %{TIME} (AM|PM)) %{GREEDYDATA:rest} . Can get the correct date output. Can you advice how i can split Loglevel INFO and "org.bouncycastle.jsse.provider.ProvTrustManagerFactorySpi getDefaultTrustStore" -> i don't know how can define this one

Thanks

It will be like one of your earlier examples, JAVACLASS will match the class name and LOGLEVEL will match the log level.

Hi @Badger ,
Can you check my grok as below, i tried to add JAVACLASS but it does not work

Thanks

That grok does not use JAVACLASS, also, the alternation for AM|PM is wrong, it needs to be surrounded by parentheses.

Thanks @Badger . I have another log message with multi lines need to parse. Can you have a look. My Grok can not get the rest of lines

My Grok: %{LOGLEVEL:lvl}%{SPACE}%{TIMESTAMP_ISO8601:dts}%{SPACE}%{SPACE}%{GREEDYDATA:rest}

Thanks