Logstash configuration to globally mutate sub index patterns

Hello,
I have an ELK stack, with some configured index patterns. As part of internal requirements, I need to edit a json object (which is part of that index pattern), globally to "string".
As of now, such json object is randomly populated by numerous sub-fields, like "date", "temps", and many more others.
All of these are automatically managed by ELK, but I need all of them to be processed and converted (casted) as "strings".

So the basic configuration is as follows:

type A: "long"
type B: "int"
type C: "string"
type D: "json object"

where type D is a nested json object which includes (as sub fields) numerous other index patterns and fields, like (for example) "typeD.date", "typeD.temps", "typeD.extrastuff", and so on.

I need all of the "typeD*" objects to be casted and converted as strings. So far, I tried to use a .conf with logstash, but it did not work. I will paste my configuration after (numerous) attempts. I tried all these configuration in my own local docker environment.

The log which I tested logstash from was called log_file.json and it contains numerous sample lines, including also the index patterns I want to edit globally with this mutate operation.

input {
    file{
      type => "json"
      path => "/home/container/logstash/log_file.json"
      start_position => "beginning"
      sincedb_path => "/dev/null"
      codec => json
  }
}

filter {
   if [message] =~ /\A\{.+\}\z/ {
     json {
       source => "message"
    }

json {
    source => "[message][typeD]"
}

mutate {
    convert => ["typeD.*","string"]
}
  }
}

output {
  elasticsearch {
    hosts => "http://localhost:9200"
    index => "logstash-test-%{+yyyy.MM.dd}"
 }
  stdout{}
}

Also, after logging in via Kibana, I can see that the (conf) file has been correctly created and loaded by logstash, but still it fails to convert the index patterns as strings.

I would need to know which edits are necessary for the configuration to work. Does the logstash config file need some edit? Is there anything wrong in the setup?

Thanks

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.