Logstash crashes after failed dns lookup

Every now and then my logstash crashes randomly. having a look at the logs, it seems to be related to a failed DNS lookup.

{:timestamp=>"2016-07-11T20:30:04.574000+0200", :message=>"Exception in pipelineworker, the pipeline stopped processing new events, please check your filter configuration and restart Logstash.", "exception"=>#<ConcurrencyError: interrupted waiting for mutex: null>, "backtrace"=>["org/jruby/ext/thread/Mutex.java:94:inlock'", "org/jruby/ext/thread/Mutex.java:147:in synchronize'", "/opt/logstash/vendor/jruby/lib/ruby/1.9/resolv.rb:190:inlazy_initialize'", "/opt/logstash/vendor/jruby/lib/ruby/1.9/resolv.rb:268:in each_name'", "/opt/logstash/vendor/jruby/lib/ruby/1.9/resolv.rb:151:ineach_name'", "org/jruby/RubyArray.java:1613:in each'", "/opt/logstash/vendor/jruby/lib/ruby/1.9/resolv.rb:150:ineach_name'", "/opt/logstash/vendor/jruby/lib/ruby/1.9/resolv.rb:132:in getname'", "/opt/logstash/vendor/bundle/jruby/1.9/gems/logstash-filter-dns-2.1.3/lib/logstash/filters/dns.rb:244:ingetname'", "/opt/logstash/vendor/bundle/jruby/1.9/gems/logstash-filter-dns-2.1.3/lib/logstash/filters/dns.rb:231:in retriable_getname'", "org/jruby/RubyProc.java:281:incall'", "/opt/logstash/vendor/bundle/jruby/1.9/gems/logstash-filter-dns-2.1.3/lib/logstash/filters/dns.rb:216:in retriable_request'", "org/jruby/ext/timeout/Timeout.java:115:intimeout'", "/opt/logstash/vendor/bundle/jruby/1.9/gems/logstash-filter-dns-2.1.3/lib/logstash/filters/dns.rb:215:in retriable_request'", "/opt/logstash/vendor/bundle/jruby/1.9/gems/logstash-filter-dns-2.1.3/lib/logstash/filters/dns.rb:230:inretriable_getname'", "/opt/logstash/vendor/bundle/jruby/1.9/gems/logstash-filter-dns-2.1.3/lib/logstash/filters/dns.rb:178:in reverse'", "org/jruby/RubyArray.java:1613:ineach'", "/opt/logstash/vendor/bundle/jruby/1.9/gems/logstash-filter-dns-2.1.3/lib/logstash/filters/dns.rb:156:in reverse'", "/opt/logstash/vendor/bundle/jruby/1.9/gems/logstash-filter-dns-2.1.3/lib/logstash/filters/dns.rb:95:infilter'", "/opt/logstash/vendor/bundle/jruby/1.9/gems/logstash-core-2.3.4-java/lib/logstash/filters/base.rb:151:in multi_filter'", "org/jruby/RubyArray.java:1613:ineach'", "/opt/logstash/vendor/bundle/jruby/1.9/gems/logstash-core-2.3.4-java/lib/logstash/filters/base.rb:148:in multi_filter'", "(eval):457:ininitialize'", "org/jruby/RubyArray.java:1613:in each'", "(eval):452:ininitialize'", "org/jruby/RubyProc.java:281:in call'", "(eval):319:infilter_func'", "/opt/logstash/vendor/bundle/jruby/1.9/gems/logstash-core-2.3.4-java/lib/logstash/pipeline.rb:267:in filter_batch'", "org/jruby/RubyArray.java:1613:ineach'", "org/jruby/RubyEnumerable.java:852:in inject'", "/opt/logstash/vendor/bundle/jruby/1.9/gems/logstash-core-2.3.4-java/lib/logstash/pipeline.rb:265:infilter_batch'", "/opt/logstash/vendor/bundle/jruby/1.9/gems/logstash-core-2.3.4-java/lib/logstash/pipeline.rb:223:in worker_loop'", "/opt/logstash/vendor/bundle/jruby/1.9/gems/logstash-core-2.3.4-java/lib/logstash/pipeline.rb:201:instart_workers'"], :level=>:error}`

This is what I have in my config:

dns {
    reverse => [ "host" ]
    action => "replace"
  }

I don't get why logstash crashes after a failed dns lookup. Wouldn't it be better to add some sort of failure tag, as suggested here https://github.com/logstash-plugins/logstash-filter-dns/issues/24 ?

Should I create an issue on the mentioned github page about this?

What version are you on?

Sorry for the late response, but I'm on logstash 2.3.4

Hi Rene, sorry for the really late response here. I'm working on a solution for this problem and I'm wondering if you can share a bit more hints about your environment?

Thanks a lot,

• purbon

In case you are interested, I opened I created https://github.com/logstash-plugins/logstash-filter-dns/issues/26 to track the fix. to track the fix.