Logstash fails to start | Multiple pipelines

(Deepak Singh) #1

Hi,
I am trying to set up multiple pipelines, as described here : https://www.elastic.co/guide/en/logstash/current/multiple-pipelines.html
I have set up the .conf and pipelines.yml file correctly, but when try to start logstash (bin/logstash), it fails with below error:

WARNING: Could not find logstash.yml which is typically located in $LS_HOME/config or /etc/logstash. You can specify the path using --path.settings. Continuing using the defaults
Could not find log4j2 configuration at path /usr/share/logstash/config/log4j2.properties. Using default config which logs errors to the console
[INFO ] 2018-05-02 12:54:23.597 [main] scaffold - Initializing module {:module_name=>"fb_apache", :directory=>"/usr/share/logstash/modules/fb_apache/configuration"}
[INFO ] 2018-05-02 12:54:23.611 [main] scaffold - Initializing module {:module_name=>"netflow", :directory=>"/usr/share/logstash/modules/netflow/configuration"}
ERROR: Failed to read pipelines yaml file. Location: /usr/share/logstash/config/pipelines.yml
usage:
  bin/logstash -f CONFIG_PATH [-t] [-r] [] [-w COUNT] [-l LOG]
  bin/logstash --modules MODULE_NAME [-M "MODULE_NAME.var.PLUGIN_TYPE.PLUGIN_NAME.VARIABLE_NAME=VALUE"] [-t] [-w COUNT] [-l LOG]
  bin/logstash -e CONFIG_STR [-t] [--log.level fatal|error|warn|info|debug|trace] [-w COUNT] [-l LOG]
  bin/logstash -i SHELL [--log.level fatal|error|warn|info|debug|trace]
  bin/logstash -V [--log.level fatal|error|warn|info|debug|trace]
  bin/logstash --help
[ERROR] 2018-05-02 12:54:24.007 [LogStash::Runner] Logstash - java.lang.IllegalStateException: org.jruby.exceptions.RaiseException: (SystemExit) exit

Tried the fixes discussed on same problem by other users but nothing worked.

here's snapshot of my very basic pipelines.yml:

Please help, as this is a blocker for us on weather to go ahead with logstash or not as technology choice

Thanks in advance

(Magnus Bäck) #2

And in what directory is your pipelines.yml?

(Deepak Singh) #3

'settings' directory

as this is where my path.settings is set in startup.options

(Magnus Bäck) #4

startup.options isn't used when you're starting Logstash from your shell with bin/logstash.

(Deepak Singh) #5

So then, where shall be the pipeline.yml be stored, to be picked up by when its run from shell?

(Magnus Bäck) #6

The error message tells you where it expects the file to be.

(Deepak Singh) #7

Well putting the pipelines.yml at that path got the multiple pipelines working.

But would appreciate is there's a page that specifies the difference in settings, file-paths etc when running from different modes.

Thanks.

(Magnus Bäck) #8

See https://www.elastic.co/guide/en/logstash/current/dir-layout.html.

(Saketh Chandra Kolisetty) #9

hi deepak,
I am using a windows operating system,where should i store my pipelines.yml file?It is not clear in the logstash documentation.

(system) #10

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.