Logstash Geolocate IP Address into Elasticsearch

I'm trying to get Logstash to take in an IIS web log and geo locate the IP address using something like GeoLite from MaxMind and then dump it to Elasticsearch. Has anyone done something similar before? I'm not an ELK guru so any help is much appreciated.

I have ELK running, but I can't quite get the syntax in my logstash.conf right in order to get this to work.

Providing what you do have would be helpful to get started.

I'm trying to keep it simple at the moment, I first want to try and just get my IIS wbelog datat into Elastic. Here is my .conf file

input {  
  file {
    type => "iis-w3c"
    path => "C:/logs/*.log"
  }

}

filter {  
  ## Ignore the comments that IIS will add to the start of the W3C logs
  #
  if [message] =~ "^#" {
    drop {}
  }

grok {
    ## Very helpful site for building these statements:
    #   http://grokdebug.herokuapp.com/
    #
    # This is configured to parse out every field of IIS's W3C format when
    #   every field is included in the logs
    #
    match => [ "message", "%{TIMESTAMP_ISO8601:timestamp} %{NOTSPACE:s-sitename} %    {WORD:cs-method} %{URIPATH:cs-uri-stem} %{NOTSPACE:cs-uri-query} %{NUMBER:s-port} %    {NOTSPACE:cs-username} %{IPORHOST:c-ip} %{NOTSPACE:cs(User-Agent)} %{NOTSPACE:cs(Cookie)}     %{NOTSPACE:cs(Referer)} %{NOTSPACE:cs-host} %{NUMBER:sc-status:int} %{NUMBER:sc-    substatus:int} %{NUMBER:sc-win32-status:int} %{NUMBER:sc-bytes:int} %{NUMBER:cs-bytes:int} %    {NUMBER:time-taken:int}" ,
"message", "%{TIMESTAMP_ISO8601:timestamp} %{IPORHOST:s-sitename} %{WORD:cs-method} %    {URIPATH:cs-uri-stem} %{NOTSPACE:cs-uri-query} %{NUMBER:s-port} %{NOTSPACE:cs-username} %    {IPORHOST:c-ip} %{NOTSPACE:cs(User-Agent)} %{NOTSPACE:cs(Referer)} %{NUMBER:response:int} %    {NUMBER:sc-substatus:int} %{NUMBER:sc-substatus:int} %{NUMBER:time-taken:int}" ,
"message", "%{TIMESTAMP_ISO8601:timestamp} %{WORD:cs-method} %{URIPATH:cs-uri-stem} %    {NOTSPACE:cs-post-data} %{NUMBER:s-port} %{IPORHOST:c-ip} HTTP/%{NUMBER:c-http-version} %    {NOTSPACE:cs(User-Agent)} %{NOTSPACE:cs(Cookie)} %{NOTSPACE:cs(Referer)} %{NOTSPACE:cs-    host} %{NUMBER:sc-status:int} %{NUMBER:sc-bytes:int} %{NUMBER:cs-bytes:int} %{NUMBER:time-    taken:int}"
]
  }

## Set the Event Timesteamp from the log
  #
  date {
    match => [ "log_timestamp", "YYYY-MM-dd HH:mm:ss" ]
      timezone => "Etc/UTC"
  }

## If the log record has a value for 'bytesSent', then add a new field
  #   to the event that converts it to kilobytes
  #
  if [bytesSent] {
    ruby {
      code => "event['kilobytesSent'] = event['bytesSent'].to_i / 1024.0"
    }
  }

## Do the same conversion for the bytes received value
  #
  if [bytesReceived] {
    ruby {
      code => "event['kilobytesReceived'] = event['bytesReceived'].to_i / 1024.0"
    }
  }

## Perform some mutations on the records to prep them for Elastic
  #
  mutate {
    ## Convert some fields from strings to integers
    #
    convert => ["bytesSent", "integer"]
    convert => ["bytesReceived", "integer"]
    convert => ["timetaken", "integer"]

## Finally remove the original log_timestamp field since the event will
    #   have the proper date on it
    #
    remove_field => [ "log_timestamp"]
  }

## Parse out the user agent
  #
    useragent {
        source=> "useragent"
        prefix=> "browser"
    }

}

## We're only going to output these records to Elasticsearch so configure
#   that.
#
output {  
  elasticsearch {
    embedded => false
    host => "localhost"
    port => 9200
    protocol => "http"
    #
    ## Log records into month-based indexes
    #
    index => "%{type}-%{+YYYY.MM}"
  }

## stdout included just for testing
  #
  # stdout {codec => rubydebug}
}

I don't think it likes my grok though as I get this error when I run it.

[ERROR][logstash.agent           ] fetched an invalid config {:config=>"input {  \n  file {\n    type => \"iis-w3c\"\n    path => \"C:/logs/*.log\"\n  }\n\n}\n\nfilter {  \n  ## Ignore the comments that IIS will add to the     start of the W3C logs\n  #\n  if [message] =~ \"^#\" {\n    drop {}\n  }\n\n  grok {\n    ## Very helpful site for building these statements:\n    #   http://grokdebug.herokuapp.com/\n    #\n    # This is configured to     parse out every field of IIS's W3C format when\n    #   every field is included in the logs\n    #\n    match => [ \"message\", \"%{TIMESTAMP_ISO8601:timestamp} %{NOTSPACE:s-sitename} %{WORD:cs-method}     %{URIPATH:cs-uri-stem} %{NOTSPACE:cs-uri-query} %{NUMBER:s-port} %{NOTSPACE:cs-username} %{IPORHOST:c-ip} %{NOTSPACE:cs(User-Agent)} %{NOTSPACE:cs(Cookie)} %{NOTSPACE:cs(Referer)} %    {NOTSPACE:cs-host} %{NUMBER:sc-status:int} %{NUMBER:sc-substatus:int} %{NUMBER:sc-win32-status:int} %{NUMBER:sc-bytes:int} %{NUMBER:cs-bytes:int} %{NUMBER:time-taken:int}\" ,\n\"message\", \"%    {TIMESTAMP_ISO8601:timestamp} %{IPORHOST:s-sitename} %{WORD:cs-method} %{URIPATH:cs-uri-stem} %{NOTSPACE:cs-uri-query} %{NUMBER:s-port} %{NOTSPACE:cs-username} %{IPORHOST:c-ip} %    {NOTSPACE:cs(User-Agent)} %{NOTSPACE:cs(Referer)} %{NUMBER:response:int} %{NUMBER:sc-substatus:int} %{NUMBER:sc-substatus:int} %{NUMBER:time-taken:int}\" ,\n\"message\", \"%    {TIMESTAMP_ISO8601:timestamp} %{WORD:cs-method} %{URIPATH:cs-uri-stem} %{NOTSPACE:cs-post-data} %{NUMBER:s-port} %{IPORHOST:c-ip} HTTP/%{NUMBER:c-http-version} %{NOTSPACE:cs(User-    Agent)} %{NOTSPACE:cs(Cookie)} %{NOTSPACE:cs(Referer)} %{NOTSPACE:cs-host} %{NUMBER:sc-status:int} %{NUMBER:sc-bytes:int} %{NUMBER:cs-bytes:int} %{NUMBER:time-taken:int}\"\n]\n  }\n\n  ## Set     the Event Timesteamp from the log\n  #\n  date {\n    match => [ \"log_timestamp\", \"YYYY-MM-dd HH:mm:ss\" ]\n      timezone => \"Etc/UTC\"\n  }\n\n  ## If the log record has a value for 'bytesSent', then add     a new field\n  #   to the event that converts it to kilobytes\n  #\n  if [bytesSent] {\n    ruby {\n      code => \"event['kilobytesSent'] = event['bytesSent'].to_i / 1024.0\"\n    }\n  }\n\n\n  ## Do the same conversion     for the bytes received value\n  #\n  if [bytesReceived] {\n    ruby {\n      code => \"event['kilobytesReceived'] = event['bytesReceived'].to_i / 1024.0\"\n    }\n  }\n\n  ## Perform some mutations on the records to     prep them for Elastic\n  #\n  mutate {\n    ## Convert some fields from strings to integers\n    #\n    convert => [\"bytesSent\", \"integer\"]\n    convert => [\"bytesReceived\", \"integer\"]\n    convert =>     [\"timetaken\", \"integer\"]\n\n    ## Finally remove the original log_timestamp field since the event will\n    #   have the proper date on it\n    #\n    remove_field => [ \"log_timestamp\"]\n  }\n\n  ## Parse out     the user agent\n  #\n    useragent {\n        source=> \"useragent\"\n        prefix=> \"browser\"\n    }\n\n}\n\n## We're only going to output these records to Elasticsearch so configure\n#   that.\n#\noutput {  \n      elasticsearch {\n    embedded => false\n    host => \"localhost\"\n    port => 9200\n    protocol => \"http\"\n    #\n    ## Log records into month-based indexes\n    #\n    index => \"%{type}-%{+YYYY.MM}\"\n      }\n\n  ## stdout included just for testing\n  #\n  # stdout {codec => rubydebug}\n}\n", :reason=>"Something is wrong with your configuration."}

You have a few instances of that you should fix.

Also I cannot see an geoip filter.

N00b here, what do I need to fix with the %{WORD:cs-method} references?

The config you posted has that.

I see it in there, not sure what I need to fix about them though.

The space between % and { is invalid.

Must be just the way I entered it into this forum post. My actual conf file doesn't have the space.

This is how I process IIS logs http://www.sysad.me/2016/07/elastic-stack-process-iis-logs.html. BTW, why do you need to do this kilobytes converting?

If you want LS to process IIS Logs, Why don't you use CSV filter plugin?

I've modified my conf now a little and am able to get IIS logs into Elastic. I'm not sure what to do next with getting the geolocation based on IP though. From what I understand, Logstash has the MaxMind geo database built into it already? Does anyone have an example how to get this working?

input {
 file {
   	#type => "iis"
    path => "C:/logs/*.log"
    start_position => "beginning" 
  }
}

filter {

#ignore log comments
  if [message] =~ "^#" {
    drop {}
  }

grok {
    # check that fields match your IIS log settings
    match => ["message", "%{TIMESTAMP_ISO8601:timestamp} %{NOTSPACE:s-sitename} %{IPORHOST:s-ip} %{WORD:cs-method} %{URIPATH:cs-uri-stem} %{NOTSPACE:cs-uri-query} %{NUMBER:s-port} %{NOTSPACE:cs-username} %{IPORHOST:c-ip} %{WORD:cs-version}"]
  }

#Set the Event Timesteamp from the log
    date {
    match => [ "log_timestamp", "YYYY-MM-dd HH:mm:ss" ]
    timezone => "Etc/UTC"
  }	

mutate {
	remove_field => [ "log_timestamp"]
  }
}

# See documentation for different protocols:
# http://logstash.net/docs/1.4.2/outputs/elasticsearch
output {
  # stdout { codec => rubydebug }
    elasticsearch { hosts => ["localhost:9200"] }
}

It's in there :smiley:

Thanks anhlqn, I'll have to check that out. I was able to get this to work now successfully.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.