Logstash is sending variables to elasticsearch

I have an issue where logstash is sending the variables to elasticsearch instead of enumerating the contents of the variable. The variables in question are coming from filebeat and I'm using these variables to create 2 different indexes in elasticsearch.

I am getting indexes in elasticsearch that have variables names in them AND enumerated names like this:

filebeat-%{[fields][host]}-%{[fields][log_type]}-2020-08-06
filebeat-dev6-nginx-2020-08-06
filebeat-dev6-reqresp-2020-08-06

I must be doing something wrong - I am very new to elastic stack. Thanks in advance for any help.

Here are my configs:
filebeat

filebeat.inputs:
    - type: log
      enabled: true

# Specify nginx as the log type for further processing by logstash
      fields:
        log_type: nginx
        host: dev6

paths:
        - /var/log/nginx/*.log
      exlcude_files: ['my-dev-reqresp.log']
      exlcude_files: ['my-other-reqresp.log']

- type: log
      enabled: true

# Specify reqresp as the log type for logstash
      fields:
        log_type: reqresp
      paths:
        - /var/log/nginx/my-dev-reqresp.log
        - /var/log/nginx/my-other-reqresp.log

output.logstash:
      # The Logstash hosts
      hosts: ["docker-dev0:5044"]

Logstash

input {
        beats {
            port => 5044
        }
    }

output {
     elasticsearch {
       hosts => ["elasticsearch:9200"]
       user => "elastic"
       password => "password"
       index => "filebeat-%{[fields][host]}-%{[fields][log_type]}-%{+YYYY-MM-dd}"
     }
     stdout {
       codec => rubydebug { 
         metadata => true
       }
     }
    }

When you look at documents in that index, so they have [fields][host] and [fields][log_type]? Can you pull a sample document as JSON and post it?

I hope you mean this:

"message" => "a bunch of stuff here",

"fields" => {

"log_type" => "nginx",

"host" => "dev6"

This is some data from the stdout of logstash.

Also, here are what is see at this URL: /_cat/indices?v

health status index                                                       uuid                   pri rep docs.count docs.deleted store.size pri.store.size
green  open   .monitoring-kibana-7-2020.08.06                             HhIwCzs4Q7azGml9gm2OeQ   1   0       6822            0      1.6mb          1.6mb
green  open   .kibana-event-log-7.8.0-000001                              S5nN_gAXQs-vmBnkFRMoHA   1   0          1            0      5.3kb          5.3kb
green  open   .security-7                                                 BPx275ILQrqdd-1gqbSGWA   1   0         37            0    101.2kb        101.2kb
yellow open   filebeat-%{[fields][host]}-%{[fields][log_type]}-2020-08-06 Hvs1WQC_QvqQwuHdZSARhw   1   1       1881            0    796.7kb        796.7kb
green  open   .apm-custom-link                                            miwPbd0ASam92v6wfYjaeg   1   0          0            0       208b           208b
green  open   .kibana_task_manager_1                                      EDeKMJx4Qh-usdulR3W74g   1   0          5            0       35kb           35kb
green  open   .apm-agent-configuration                                    o5JRXbZaQIiOVM3Rt0NDaw   1   0          0            0       208b           208b
green  open   .monitoring-logstash-7-2020.08.06                           00LZs7HBT3-Mgrdey-3S0A   1   0      82578            0      6.1mb          6.1mb
green  open   .monitoring-es-7-2020.08.06                                 9in6px8jRciJ1YfiIYSyOA   1   0     102902        82420     50.6mb         50.6mb
green  open   .kibana_1                                                   byY5xo1-Tce_9UMgvHaCKg   1   0         61           10    103.6kb        103.6kb
yellow open   filebeat-dev6-nginx-2020-08-06                              JA5E_efkTjK7Sr7yWl77wQ   1   1       6524            0      2.8mb          2.8mb
yellow open   filebeat-dev6-reqresp-2020-08-06                            N4fYswMzTNSQCTlZ48BK6g   1   1        159            0    435.2kb        435.2kb

Thanks.

Which index did that particular message end up in?

I would assume that would have went to this index:

The output that I show was from logstash and not elasticsearch (Kibana).

I can try to get more information - but please let me know where.

Here is a portion of a document that did come through on this index:

"input": {
      "type": "log"
    },
    "log": {
      "offset": 2097913,
      "file": {
        "path": "/var/log/nginx/cache.log"
      }
    },
    "fields": {
      "log_type": "nginx",
      "host": "dev6"
    },
    "host": {
      "ip": [
        "10.0.10.66",
        "fe80::20c:29ff:fe70:5c33"
      ],
      "os": {
        "kernel": "4.15.0-111-generic",
        "codename": "bionic",
        "name": "Ubuntu",
        "platform": "ubuntu",
        "family": "debian",
        "version": "18.04.4 LTS (Bionic Beaver)"
      },

I am not interested in data that went into the index you wanted it to go into. You are claiming (as I understand it) that there are documents in the index called "filebeat-%{[fields][host]}-%{[fields][log_type]}-2020-08-06", where the values of the fields have not been interpolated. I would like to see an example of a document from that index.

I can get that information from the elasticsearch if I were to index it. However, I am not indexing anything called "filebeat-%{[fields][host]}-%{[fields][log_type]}-2020-08-06" and I don't see how that would help any. The problem is that logstash is not enumerating the variables and inserting the variables (instead of values) into elasticsearch as an index.

Then I guess I have completely misunderstood your problem. I do not think I can help you.

I don't know what else to say other than I don't want the variable names showing up in elastic search like this:

filebeat-%{[fields][host]}-%{[fields][log_type]}-2020-08-06

So I found the solution to my problem. The issues was that not all documents retrieved by filebeat matched the following lines:

exlcude_files: ['my-dev-reqresp.log']
exlcude_files: ['my-other-reqresp.log']

Since some documents did not match this expression, they did not the the following applied:

fields:
  log_type: nginx

Since they were not applied, logstash could not enumerate these variable to anything and forwarded them to elasticsearch as the variable names.

I changed the regular expression to this:

exlcude_files: ['my-(dev|other)-reqresp.log']

Which would be a better representation of the regular expression that filebeat expects.

Thanks for trying to help me @Badger

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.