Logstash is throwing errors

Hi Team,

I have downloaded LogStash and configured to push logs to ElasticSearch. When I start the LogStash
with command logstash -f ../conf/logstash.yml but getting below error. Even I tried to start Logstash with command
logstash.bat with no arguments but error is same.

An unexpected error occurred! {:error=>#<ArgumentError: Setting "" hasn't been registered>, :backtrace=>["C:/logstash-5.5.1/logstash-core/lib/logstash/settings.rb:32:in get_setting'", "C:/logstash-5.5.1/logstash-core/lib/logstash/settings.rb:64:inset_value'", "C:/logstash-5.5.1/logstash-core/lib/logstash/settings.rb:83:in merge'", "org/jruby/RubyHash.java:1342:ineach'", "C:/logstash-5.5.1/logstash-core/lib/logstash/settings.rb:83:in merge'", "C:/logstash-5.5.1/logstash-core/lib/logstash/settings.rb:135:invalidate_all'", "C:/logstash-5.5.1/logstash-core/lib/logstash/runner.rb:244:in execute'", "C:/logstash-5.5.1/vendor/bundle/jruby/1.9/gems/clamp-0.6.5/lib/clamp/command.rb:67:inrun'", "C:/logstash-5.5.1/logstash-core/lib/logstash/runner.rb:209:in run'", "C:/logstash-5.5.1/vendor/bundle/jruby/1.9/gems/clamp-0.6.5/lib/clamp/command.rb:132:inrun'", "C:\logstash-5.5.1\lib\bootstrap\environment.rb:71:in `(root)'"]}

LogStash configuration yml file
input { stdin { } }
output {
elasticsearch { hosts => ["localhost:9200"] }
stdout { codec => rubydebug }
}

Would some one please let me know if any other configuration is required

You should pass the configuration file/directory using the -f flag, not the logstash.yml file.

Thanks Christian.

I didn't see any other configuration file in config folder except logstash.yml. Do I need to create one .conf and if so would you please let me know sample one.

Yes you need to create one, Logstash doesn't know what sort of processing you want to do.

If you want examples, have a read of https://www.elastic.co/guide/en/logstash/5.5/getting-started-with-logstash.html

or you can just create an empty file with the name logstash.conf.

Dear Mark & Vishal,

I have created logstash.conf in the bin folder where logstash.bat was located but still I am getting same error.
Below is the error details when I ran in debug mode.

C:\logstash-5.5.1\bin>logstash.bat -f logstash.conf --debug

ERROR StatusLogger No log4j2 configuration file found. Using default configurati
on: logging only errors to the console.
Sending Logstash's logs to C:/logstash-5.5.1/logs which is now configured via lo
g4j2.properties
[2017-09-12T09:51:10,004][DEBUG][logstash.plugins.registry] Adding plugin to the
registry {:name=>"fb_apache", :type=>:modules, :class=>#<LogStash::Modules::Sca
ffold:0x5793a537 @module_name="fb_apache", @directory="C:/logstash-5.5.1/modules
/fb_apache/configuration">}
[2017-09-12T09:51:10,029][FATAL][logstash.runner ] An unexpected error
occurred! {:error=>#<ArgumentError: Setting "" hasn't been registered>, :backtra
ce=>["C:/logstash-5.5.1/logstash-core/lib/logstash/settings.rb:32:in get_settin g'", "C:/logstash-5.5.1/logstash-core/lib/logstash/settings.rb:64:inset_value'
", "C:/logstash-5.5.1/logstash-core/lib/logstash/settings.rb:83:in merge'", "or g/jruby/RubyHash.java:1342:ineach'", "C:/logstash-5.5.1/logstash-core/lib/logs
tash/settings.rb:83:in merge'", "C:/logstash-5.5.1/logstash-core/lib/logstash/s ettings.rb:135:invalidate_all'", "C:/logstash-5.5.1/logstash-core/lib/logstash
/runner.rb:244:in execute'", "C:/logstash-5.5.1/vendor/bundle/jruby/1.9/gems/cl amp-0.6.5/lib/clamp/command.rb:67:inrun'", "C:/logstash-5.5.1/logstash-core/li
b/logstash/runner.rb:209:in run'", "C:/logstash-5.5.1/vendor/bundle/jruby/1.9/g ems/clamp-0.6.5/lib/clamp/command.rb:132:inrun'", "C:\logstash-5.5.1\lib\bo
otstrap\environment.rb:71:in `(root)'"]}

Below is content of logstash.conf file
input { stdin { } }
output {
elasticsearch { hosts => ["localhost:9200"] }
stdout { codec => rubydebug }
}

Looks like I am missing something here.

Surprisingly, all the setup is working with LogStash 2.4.1. I am able to make it run. The mentioned errors in my previous post are with version 5.5.

Is there issue with versions 5 and above.
Is there any extra configurations is required for these versions.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.