Logstash-jdbc-input Oracle SQL issue

I'm having trouble trying to figure out why my SQL statement is not working. I've tested enough combinations that I have it narrowed down to a single line causing issue.
"AND collection_system_date >= SYSDATE - 300/86400"

But I can't see why the line is causing issue as I can use it in normal SQL client or other JDBC client just fine.

Below is the complete SQL statement I'm testing. If I comment out "--" the one line above it will run fine and return data. I've tried all combinations of paraphrases around the numbers and sysdate, but nothing works.

SELECT
collection_system_date
, ne_name
, collector_name
, collector_rpu_host_name
, collection_status
FROM
collector_statuses
WHERE
ne_model like 'cyan%'
AND collection_system_date >= SYSDATE - 300/86400
AND collection_system_date <= SYSDATE

I've tried setting the sql_log_level to "debug" but then I get nothing at all in the /var/log/logstash/logstash-plain.log file. If it goes someplace else in debug mode I'm not finding it and could help knowing where.

Thanks

does it work from SQLPLus?

well since SYSTEM date is the current time, and I presume I understand what your doing, You can't ever collect data in to the future unless your system time is not synchronized

just having collection_system_data >= SYSDATE -300/86400 will give you all records from 5 minutes ago to now and in to the future which should never happen unless you have out of sync system clocks.

There is no problem with my original SQL as I use it many other places. However....

Your reply got me to thinking that maybe something about the dates is not correct.
I did a quick test with logstash to see what dates would return in a query of Oracle's builtin functions. I have noticed that everything is coming back in UTC time, but according to my query it should be in America/New_York.

SELECT current_date, current_timestamp, dbtimezone, localtimestamp, sessiontimezone, sysdate, systimestamp FROM dual;

{"sysdate":"2017-04-13T14:43:00.000Z","@timestamp":"2017-04-13T14:43:00.462Z","current_timestamp":"2017-04-13T14:43:00.427Z","@version":"1","sessiontimezone":"America/New_York","localtimestamp":"2017-04-13T14:43:00.427Z"}

However even adjusting my query for the difference (subtract another 4 hours) doesn't return anything. I even went ahead and just passed it "- 1" to subtract whole date and still doesn't work.

I figured out turning on debug in logstash I could then also turn on debug in jdbc input filter. Below is the output from the log file.

[2017-04-13T11:06:59,195][DEBUG][logstash.agent           ] no configuration change for pipeline {:pipeline=>"main"}
[2017-04-13T11:07:00,359][DEBUG][logstash.inputs.jdbc     ] (0.143000s) SELECT * FROM (SELECT count(*) "COUNT" FROM (SELECT
to_char(collection_system_date,'MM/DD/YY HH24:MI:SS') collection_system_date
, ne_name
, collector_name
, collection_status
FROM
collector_statuses
WHERE
ne_model like 'cyan%'
AND collection_system_date >= sysdate - 1
AND collection_system_date <= sysdate
) "T1") "T1" WHERE (ROWNUM <= 1)
[2017-04-13T11:07:00,366][DEBUG][logstash.inputs.jdbc     ] Executing JDBC query {:statement=>"SELECT\nto_char(collection_system_date,'MM/DD/YY HH24:MI:SS') collection_system_date\n, ne_name\n, collector_name\n, collector_rpu_host_name\n, collection_status\nFROM\ncollector_statuses\nWHERE\nne_model like 'cyan%'\nAND collection_system_date >= sysdate - 1\nAND collection_system_date <= sysdate\n", :parameters=>{:sql_last_value=>1970-01-01 00:00:00 UTC}, :count=>0}
[2017-04-13T11:07:00,466][DEBUG][logstash.inputs.jdbc     ] (0.098000s) SELECT
to_char(collection_system_date,'MM/DD/YY HH24:MI:SS') collection_system_date
, ne_name
, collector_name
, collection_status
FROM
collector_statuses
WHERE
ne_model like 'cyan%'
AND collection_system_date >= sysdate - 1
AND collection_system_date <= sysdate

[2017-04-13T11:07:02,180][DEBUG][logstash.pipeline        ] Pushing flush onto pipeline

Closing topic as this was user error.

After further investigation I forgotten the test DB is always 2 days behind production. Once I moved the WHERE clause to compare back to 2 days plus it all worked.

1 Like

sometimes, it is good to just "voice" out the problem and that provides a solution as you talk it out.

Glad I could be a sounding board for you

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.