Logstash not showing any output

Hi
I am a student working on a project and decided to use ELK Stack as a logging tool to present its value.
I am using SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 12 SP3 (x86_64) as OS and running it on a virtual machine.

I need a bit of help understanding how logstash works. Right now I have set it up so it should take my apache2 logs and send it to elasticsearch. But nothing gets through, I have tested with your examples with the bank and everything worked as it should, I was able to find the bank data through kibana and create an index for it. But when I moved on to another example, setting up for apache data nothing happens. I've checked the logs but nothing seems to be wrong.

Here is the simple.config I am using for logstash:

input {
  file {
    path => "/var/log/apache2/access_log"
    start_position => "beginning"
  }
}
filter {

grok {
        match => { "message" => "%{COMBINEDAPACHELOG}"}
    }
    date {
        match => [ "timestamp" , "dd/MMM/yyyy:HH:mm:ss Z" ]
  }
}

output {
  elasticsearch {
  hosts => ["localhost:9200"]
  }
 }

and the logstash logs looks as following:

[2018-02-21T13:10:46,658][INFO ][logstash.runner ] Starting Logstash {"logstash.version"=>"6.2.0"}
[2018-02-21T13:10:47,118][INFO ][logstash.agent ] Successfully started Logstash API endpoint {:port=>9600}
[2018-02-21T13:10:48,068][INFO ][logstash.pipeline ] Starting pipeline {:pipeline_id=>"main", "pipeline.workers"=>2, "pipeline.batch.size"=>125, "pipeline.batch.delay"=>50}
[2018-02-21T13:10:48,324][INFO ][logstash.outputs.elasticsearch] Elasticsearch pool URLs updated {:changes=>{:removed=>, :added=>[http://localhost:9200/]}}
[2018-02-21T13:10:48,326][INFO ][logstash.outputs.elasticsearch] Running health check to see if an Elasticsearch connection is working {:healthcheck_url=>http://localhost:9200/, :path=>"/"}
[2018-02-21T13:10:48,403][WARN ][logstash.outputs.elasticsearch] Restored connection to ES instance {:url=>"http://localhost:9200/"}
[2018-02-21T13:10:48,445][INFO ][logstash.outputs.elasticsearch] ES Output version determined {:es_version=>nil}
[2018-02-21T13:10:48,445][WARN ][logstash.outputs.elasticsearch] Detected a 6.x and above cluster: the type event field won't be used to determine the document _type {:es_version=>6}
[2018-02-21T13:10:48,448][INFO ][logstash.outputs.elasticsearch] Using mapping template from {:path=>nil}
[2018-02-21T13:10:48,450][INFO ][logstash.outputs.elasticsearch] Attempting to install template {:manage_template=>{"template"=>"logstash-", "version"=>60001, "settings"=>{"index.refresh_interval"=>"5s"}, "mappings"=>{"default"=>{"dynamic_templates"=>[{"message_field"=>{"path_match"=>"message", "match_mapping_type"=>"string", "mapping"=>{"type"=>"text", "norms"=>false}}}, {"string_fields"=>{"match"=>"", "match_mapping_type"=>"string", "mapping"=>{"type"=>"text", "norms"=>false, "fields"=>{"keyword"=>{"type"=>"keyword", "ignore_above"=>256}}}}}], "properties"=>{"@timestamp"=>{"type"=>"date"}, "@version"=>{"type"=>"keyword"}, "geoip"=>{"dynamic"=>true, "properties"=>{"ip"=>{"type"=>"ip"}, "location"=>{"type"=>"geo_point"}, "latitude"=>{"type"=>"half_float"}, "longitude"=>{"type"=>"half_float"}}}}}}}}
[2018-02-21T13:10:48,457][INFO ][logstash.outputs.elasticsearch] New Elasticsearch output {:class=>"LogStash::Outputs::Elasticsearch", :hosts=>["//localhost:9200"]}
[2018-02-21T13:10:48,732][INFO ][logstash.pipeline ] Pipeline started succesfully {:pipeline_id=>"main", :thread=>"#<Thread:0x13f51a3@/usr/share/logstash/logstash-core/lib/logstash/pipeline.rb:246 sleep>"}
[2018-02-21T13:10:48,749][INFO ][logstash.agent ] Pipelines running {:count=>1, :pipelines=>["main"]}

Otherwise most of everything is kept at default, Logstash, Kibana and Elasticsearch is all installed on the same machine.
Anyone has any idea why I cant find the apach2 logs in Kibana?

A common issue with not seeing events from a file input is that Logstash has already read that file. Logstash keeps a track of all files it has processed and the latest offset for each file which stores it in a since_db file.

So if you try and reprocess an already processed file, Logstash actually knows it has already read it and skips it. Check if such a file exists in the default path and delete it if so, see if that resolves the issue.

I couldn't find since_db file anywhere, I checked the defaul path which is Usr/share/logstash but no results, I even tried the find /-name since_db and it came up empty. Do you have any other suggestions?
Edit1:
I've just tried to create a new file in my home catalog called taccess_log and copied in some example data. Changed the file path in the conf file and it worked, but now when i change the path to my actual apache2 logs which is in var/log/apache2 and it still dosen't work.

Also, after this change, I tried to find the since_db file again with still no result.. Either its hidden somewere, or something is amiss

Documentation suggests that it's under <path.data>/plugins/inputs/file, but you can always provide your own path in the config and it should spawn a new file which you will be able to control better.

Thank you for the assistans, we have solved the problem, we checked the chmod on the access_log file, but not on the apache2 directory..

So it was a chmod problem afterall.

It now reads the correct file and inputs data as we wished.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.