Logstash on Docker ERROR: Failed to read pipelines yaml file. Location: /usr/share/logstash/config/pipelines.yml

Hello! I am facing difficulties trying to configure my ELK stack in which Logstash should be running multiple pipelines, and the problem seems to be in the Logstash docker-compose.yml configuration. In fact, I get the following error whenever I try to run it:

88755932b36c_logstash | Sending Logstash logs to /usr/share/logstash/logs which is now configured via log4j2.properties
    88755932b36c_logstash | [2021-03-06T15:23:55,465][INFO ][logstash.runner          ] Starting Logstash {"logstash.version"=>"7.11.1", "jruby.version"=>"jruby 9.2.13.0 (2.5.7) 2020-08-03 9a89c94bcc OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM 11.0.8+10 on 11.0.8+10 +indy +jit [linux-x86_64]"}
    88755932b36c_logstash | ERROR: Failed to read pipelines yaml file. Location: /usr/share/logstash/config/pipelines.yml
    88755932b36c_logstash | usage:
    88755932b36c_logstash |   bin/logstash -f CONFIG_PATH [-t] [-r] [] [-w COUNT] [-l LOG]
    88755932b36c_logstash |   bin/logstash --modules MODULE_NAME [-M "MODULE_NAME.var.PLUGIN_TYPE.PLUGIN_NAME.VARIABLE_NAME=VALUE"] [-t] [-w COUNT] [-l LOG]
    88755932b36c_logstash |   bin/logstash -e CONFIG_STR [-t] [--log.level fatal|error|warn|info|debug|trace] [-w COUNT] [-l LOG]
    88755932b36c_logstash |   bin/logstash -i SHELL [--log.level fatal|error|warn|info|debug|trace]
    88755932b36c_logstash |   bin/logstash -V [--log.level fatal|error|warn|info|debug|trace]
    88755932b36c_logstash |   bin/logstash --help
    88755932b36c_logstash | [2021-03-06T15:23:55,975][FATAL][org.logstash.Logstash    ] Logstash stopped processing because of an error: (SystemExit) exit
    88755932b36c_logstash | org.jruby.exceptions.SystemExit: (SystemExit) exit
    88755932b36c_logstash | 	at org.jruby.RubyKernel.exit(org/jruby/RubyKernel.java:747) ~[jruby-complete-9.2.13.0.jar:?]
    88755932b36c_logstash | 	at org.jruby.RubyKernel.exit(org/jruby/RubyKernel.java:710) ~[jruby-complete-9.2.13.0.jar:?]
    88755932b36c_logstash | 	at usr.share.logstash.lib.bootstrap.environment.<main>(/usr/share/logstash/lib/bootstrap/environment.rb:89) ~[?:?]
    88755932b36c_logstash exited with code 1

I tried to follow the documentation's instructions and I read about very similar topics, but I still do not get how to fix this issue. The documentation says the configurations of the single pipelines' absolute paths (relatively to the container) must must be specified in pipelines.yml, and /usr/share/logstash/config/ should be the path.settings the documentation talks about. That directory (in the container) should contain both the single pipelines' .conf and the pipelines.yml, and I think I have declared it in "volumes".

Here are the docker-compose.yml (I will only paste the Logstash Docker configuration, as Elasticsearch and Kibana work fine) and the pipelines.yml. docker-compose.yml, pipelines.yml and the two .conf files all are in the same directory and they are bound to the path.settings. Needless to say, if I uncomment the #single pipeline line and comment the other two bonds in "volumes", the dockerized Logstash works perfectly with a single main pipeline.

Here is the docker-compose.yml (limited to Logstash's configuration):

logstash:
        image: docker.elastic.co/logstash/logstash-oss:7.11.1
        container_name: logstash
        hostname: logstash
        volumes:
        #  - ./logstash.conf:/usr/share/logstash/pipeline/logstash.conf # single pipeline
          - ./logstash-to-opendistro.conf:/usr/share/logstash/config/logstash-to-opendistro.conf
          - ./opendistro-to-logstash.conf:/usr/share/logstash/config/opendistro-to-logstash.conf
          - ./pipelines.yml:/usr/share/logstash/config/pipelines.yml
        links:
          - opendistro:opendistro
        depends_on:
          - opendistro
        networks:
          - elknetwork

And this is the pipelines.yml file:

- pipeline.id: logstash-to-opendistro
        path.config: "/usr/share/logstash/config/logstash-to-opendistro.conf"
        pipeline.workers: 1

- pipeline.id: opendistro-to-logstash
        path.config: "/usr/share/logstash/config/opendistro-to-logstash.conf"
        pipeline.workers: 1

The trivial question is: how do I get my setup to work, provided that Opendistro and Kibana work just fine? More specifically: how do I bind the "physical" (i.e. non-containerized) multiple pipeline configuration files and pipelines.yml to the Docker container's filesystem?
Thank you all in advance!

PS: please let me know if you need to see the remaining configuration files - I omitted them as I thought these were the most useful.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.