Logstash Plugin for Cloudwatch logs

Hi, I am trying to integrate AWS Lambda logs onto ELK Stack.
My AWS Lambda is writing logs into Cloudwatch logs.

I am trying to get this data into logstash using logstash-input-cloudwatch plugin. But, having difficulties.

Below is my config.

input {
   cloudwatch {
       type => "cloudwatch_lambda"
       namespace => "AWS/Logs"
       filters => { "logStream:Group" => "MyLambdaStreamName" }
       region => "us-east-1"
    }
}

Just sending output to a file to see if I can ingest them or not.
Errors in logstash log file:

[2018-03-26T16:16:55,008][INFO ][logstash.inputs.cloudwatch] Polling CloudWatch API
[2018-03-26T16:16:55,009][ERROR][logstash.pipeline        ] A plugin had an unrecoverable error. Will restart this plugin.
  Plugin: <LogStash::Inputs::CloudWatch type=>"cloudwatch_lambda", namespace=>"AWS/Logs", filters=>{"logStream:Group"=>"MyLambdaStreamName"}, region=>"us-east-1", id=>"8716239dasdaddasskdbasjdldj-8", enable_metric=>true, codec=><LogStash::Codecs::Plain id=>"plain_8763183n-dwqdka-dkdnka-dsakdna", enable_metric=>true, charset=>"UTF-8">, use_ssl=>true, metrics=>["CPUUtilization", "DiskReadOps", "DiskWriteOps", "NetworkIn", "NetworkOut"], statistics=>["SampleCount", "Average", "Minimum", "Maximum", "Sum"], interval=>900, period=>300, combined=>false>
  Error: No metrics to query
  Exception: RuntimeError
  Stack: /logstash-5.5.0/vendor/bundle/jruby/1.9/gems/logstash-input-cloudwatch-2.0.3/lib/logstash/inputs/cloudwatch.rb:144:in `run'
org/jruby/RubyProc.java:281:in `call'
/logstash-5.5.0-bundle/vendor/bundle/jruby/1.9/gems/stud-0.0.22/lib/stud/interval.rb:20:in `interval'
/logstash-5.5.0-bundle/vendor/bundle/jruby/1.9/gems/logstash-input-cloudwatch-2.0.3/lib/logstash/inputs/cloudwatch.rb:141:in `run'
/logstash-5.5.0-bundle/logstash-core/lib/logstash/pipeline.rb:456:in `inputworker'
/logstash-5.5.0-bundle/logstash-core/lib/logstash/pipeline.rb:449:in `start_input'

These logs are appearing every second.

I found this article: plugin developed specifically to ingest cloudwatch logs: https://lukewaite.ca/aws/lambda/elk/logstash/2015/07/13/aws-lambda-and-elk.html
I will try this, but this is not in the list of official plugins, so if possible, I would like to do it using official Clouwatch plugin for logstash.

Logstash version 5.5.0. Any help appreciated.

It looks like you haven't specified any metrics that are compatible with the selected namespace.

metrics

• Value type is array
  • Default value is ["CPUUtilization", "DiskReadOps", "DiskWriteOps", "NetworkIn", "NetworkOut"]

Specify the metrics to fetch for the namespace. The defaults are AWS/EC2 specific. See AWS services that publish CloudWatch metrics - Amazon CloudWatch for the available metrics for other namespaces.

-- Elastic Docs, Cloudwatch Input, metrics parameter

The metrics available for your selected namespace AWS/Logs can be found in the Amazon CloudWatch Logs sub-page.

I skipped the metrics.
Since I am interested in AWS Lambda logs which are being written to Cloudwatch logs,
I require Cloudwatch logs entirely. Not the metrics.

1 Like

Any help please?

The plugin you're using appears to only support metrics from cloudwatch, which is why it is failing when it is configured in a manner that has no metrics.

There is a community-provided plugin lukewaite/logstash-input-cloudwatch-logs that claims to get the logs themselves from cloudwatch. The plugin does have a few open issues, but it may be the best place to get started.

Thanks so much. Will try this out

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.