Logstash Reached open files limit

I understand this question with the title has been asked many times before and almost every thread i has opened and learned here, but the doesn't come across any concrete answer so far specially for the Linux with systemd service. I have got the below errors:

[2019-02-06T07:47:01,817][WARN ][filewatch.tailmode.processor] Reached open files limit: 4095, set by the 'max_open_files' option or default, files yet to open: 422
[2019-02-06T07:47:22,314][WARN ][filewatch.tailmode.processor] Reached open files limit: 4095, set by the 'max_open_files' option or default, files yet to open: 422
[2019-02-06T07:47:43,927][WARN ][filewatch.tailmode.processor] Reached open files limit: 4095, set by the 'max_open_files' option or default, files yet to open: 422
[2019-02-06T07:48:04,406][WARN ][filewatch.tailmode.processor] Reached open files limit: 4095, set by the 'max_open_files' option or default, files yet to open: 422
[2019-02-06T07:48:25,934][WARN ][filewatch.tailmode.processor] Reached open files limit: 4095, set by the 'max_open_files' option or default, files yet to open: 422
[2019-02-06T07:48:46,529][WARN ][filewatch.tailmode.processor] Reached open files limit: 4095, set by the 'max_open_files' option or default, files yet to open: 422

I understand this is generic logs and dictates its meaning, However i have followed all the document and threads as possible to fix my issue before coming here to post hence i'm concluding all the Steps i have taken so far to fix the problem but did not worked.

1. limit defined in the limits.conf file for root and wide open to all as `*

`*`             soft    nofile 64000
      `*`             hard    nofile 64000
      root            soft    nofile 64000
      root            hard    nofile 64000

2. Max file defined in the main config file sysctl.conf to system-wide implementation:

[els_hosts] # cat /etc/sysctl.conf  
net.ipv6.conf.all.disable_ipv6 = 1
net.ipv6.conf.default.disable_ipv6 = 1
vm.max_map_count = 262144
fs.file-max = 655360
  1. As the system is running with RHEL7 with systemd Service hence also applied the changes under service.d/ dir path.
[els_hosts] # cat /etc/systemd/system/logstash.service.d/logstashlimit.conf
[Service]
LimitNOFILE=256000
LimitMEMLOCK=infinity

Verifying the limits under /proc , ulimit and logstash's startup.options as follows:

[els_hosts] # cat /proc/sys/fs/file-max
> [els_hosts] # ulimit -a | grep open
> open files                      (-n) 64000
[els_hosts] # ulimit -Hn
[els_hosts] # ulimit -Sn
[els_hosts] # grep "LS_OPEN_FILES=16384" /etc/logstash/startup.options
LS_OPEN_FILES=16384

am i missing something apart from these? I really taken all them the time but couldn't figure it out yet.

OS details: RHEL 7 
Logstash version: 6.5.x

My logstash.conf file:

input {
  file {
    path => [ "/data/rmlogs_SJ/*.txt" ]
    start_position => beginning
    sincedb_path => "/dev/null"
    type => "rmlog"
  }
}

filter {
  if [type] == "rmlog" {
    grok {
     match => { "message" => "%{HOSTNAME:Hostname},%{DATE:Date},%{HOUR:dt_h}:%{MINUTE:dt_m},%{NUMBER:duration}-%{WORD:hm},%{USER:User},%{USER:User_1} %{NUMBER:Pid} %{NUMBER:float} %{NUMBER:float} %{NUMBER:Num_1} %{NUMBER:Num_2} %{DATA} (?:%{HOUR:dt_h1}:|)(?:%{MINUTE:dt_m1}|) (?:%{HOUR:dt_h2}:|)(?:%{MINUTE:dt_m2}|)%{GREEDYDATA:CMD},%{GREEDYDATA:PWD_PATH}" }
      add_field => [ "received_at", "%{@timestamp}" ]
      remove_field => [ "@version", "host", "message", "_type", "_index", "_score" ]
   }
 }
}

output {
        if [type] == "rmlog" {
        elasticsearch {
                hosts => ["myhost:9200"]
                manage_template => false
                index => "rmlog-%{+YYYY.MM.dd}"
  }
 }
}

You need to configure the option on the file input too.

@Badger, thanks for the hint but where to define the max_open_files value in logstash.conf? Would be great if you have a example snippet i have just included my logstash.conf.

Sorry for not getting upto it.

Add max_open_files to the file input.

1 Like

thanks a mile again for the quick revert, let me apply & check on this.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.