Logstash - selectively applying filter

Hi there

I am sending logs from my nginx instance to ELK via Filebeat. The problem is that nginx access logs are json, but error logs are not and Logstash reports a lot of parsing errors which then swamp the log file on the disk. In order to avoid that I temporarily upped Logstash log level to critical, but I am not happy with that solution.

The goal:

• accept both error and access logs from nginx
  • avoid getting parsing errors
  • nginx access logs are in json, must be
  • nginx error logs are plaintext and it's fine (but could be json as well, no matter)

Solutions?

1. configure nginx so that both access and error logs are json - but I believe it's currently not possible with reasonable amount of work
  2. configure Logstash so that it uses json codec on access logs and plaintext codec on error logs - but how do I do that?

My current Logstash config is as below. Tried configuring Logstash according to the 2nd solution, but failed. It seems that someone has already faced such issue (Can I use both json and plain logs in a common filebeat input?), but I am not sure how do I "selectively apply a json filter if the line looks like JSON"?

Could someone help? Many thanks in advance for any suggestions.

input {
    beats {
        port => 1234
        codec => "json"
        }
}

output {
    elasticsearch {
        hosts => ["localhost:9200"]
    }
}

Can't you do the JSON parsing on the Filebeat side instead? Or at least assign a distinct type (with document_type) to each kind of log so that you can conditionally apply a json filter on the Logstash side?

I would like to use as little computing power on the nginx side as possible. So even if json parsing does not seem like a cpu-hungry operation I'd rather stick with option no 2.

So this would be config on Filebeat side:

- input_type: log
  paths:
    - /var/log/nginx/*/access.log
  document_type: metricsets

paths:
    - /var/log/nginx/*/error.log
  document_type: nginx_error_log

Then how do I approach conditionally appling json filter in Logstash input config?

Then how do I approach conditionally appling json filter in Logstash input config?

So we've got something like this:

input {
    beats {
        port => 1234
        }
}

output
{
        if [type] == "nginx_error_log"
        {
            elasticsearch
                {
                codec => plain
                }
        }
        else
        {
             elasticsearch
                {
                codec => json
                }
        }
}

Thought that might do the job, but by the time the data reaches output section, the codec (plaintext) has already been applied by the beats input plugin.

Should I apply the filter in the input section instead?

Or maybe should I try and mutate the codec in the output section? Don't know if this idea is a good one?

Don't set the codec option for the elasticsearch output. Use a json filter instead and wrap it in a conditional.

Right. Managed to come up with working config.

Filebeat:

paths:
    - /var/log/nginx/*/access.log
  document_type: nginx_access_log

paths:
    - /var/log/nginx/*/error.log
  document_type: metricsets

Logstash:

input
{
        beats
        {
                port => 1234
        }
}

filter
{
        if [type] == "nginx_access_log"
        {
                json
                {
                        source => "message"
                }
        }
}

output
{
        elasticsearch
        {
        }
}

Will let it work for a couple of days and see what happens, but so far it's delivering. Thank you for your help!

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.