Logstash Tab / Space Delimiter

Hi All. I am trying to ingest some IIS logs into Elastic via logtstash. They are CSVs but the separator is NOT a ,. How can I account for a space or a tab as the separator.

I have multiple different kinds of files where the delimiter is a space or a tab and not a comma so I need to get this working. Any help would be appreciated.

I tried a few different formats:

1. in between the " " in separator is an actual TAB. I tried the tabs also in the columns row as well. The documentation says to not use \t use the actual character. When I run it like this logstash starts up, but never actually ingests anything.

If I run this as a straight .log file and not a .csv file the data ingests, but I do not get the column names, it shows up as Column 1, column 2.. etc.

csv {
  source => "[message]"
  target => "[csv]"
  separator => "    "
  columns => [ "date","time","s-ip","cs-method","cs-uri-stem","cs-uri-query","s-port","cs-username","c-ip","cs(User-Agent)","cs(Referer)","sc-status","sc-substatus","sc-win32-status","time-taken" ]
  skip_empty_columns => true
  skip_empty_rows => true
}

The separator is the space " " not the tab for IIS logs.

W3C Extended format is a customizable ASCII format with a variety of different properties. You can log properties important to you, while limiting log size by omitting unwanted property fields. Properties are separated by spaces. Time is recorded as UTC.

Hi,

I had tried the space. Should it be 1 space or 2? I tried both single and double spaces.

Can you copy here a sample from the message as text, not a log line?

Sure. Here is with the tab:

csv {
source => "[message]"
target => "[csv]"
separator => " "
columns => [ "date","time","s-ip","cs-method","cs-uri-stem","cs-uri-query","s-port","cs-username","c-ip","cs(User-Agent)","cs(Referer)","sc-status","sc-substatus","sc-win32-status","time-taken" ]
skip_empty_rows => true

and here with a space.

csv {
source => "[message]"
target => "[csv]"
separator => " "
skip_empty_rows => true
}

When I run logstash with this config I get no errors.. logstash starts up initially but never actually runs the ingest.

This message repeats in the console:

[2024-02-01T13:12:29,268][DEBUG][logstash.instrument.periodicpoller.jvm] collector name {:name=>"G1 Young Generation"}
[2024-02-01T13:12:29,268][DEBUG][logstash.instrument.periodicpoller.jvm] collector name {:name=>"G1 Old Generation"}
[2024-02-01T13:12:32,389][DEBUG][org.logstash.execution.PeriodicFlush][main] Pushing flush onto pipeline.
[2024-02-01T13:12:34,070][DEBUG][logstash.instrument.periodicpoller.cgroup] One or more required cgroup files or directories not found: /proc/self/cgroup, /sys/fs/cgroup/cpuacct, /sys/fs/cgroup/cpu

I was able to get this working. There was a few changes I needed to make.

1. Remove ( ) from the list of Columns in the Conf file

The only issue now is the files are getting deleted after processing.

I have this line in the conf file.
file_completed_action => "log"

any idea why logstash is ignoring it?

I mean the message sample, the message field not .conf. Anyway you solved. :upside_down_face:

When in read mode, what action should be carried out when a file is done with.
The default value for mode is tail.

Have you set the mode? Default is tail
And now copy your the input part.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.