Logtash pid keeps changing

I am currently running ubuntu 18 server edition and the following is java / logstash version

root@monitor:/usr/share/logstash/bin# ./logstash --version
Using JAVA_HOME defined java: /usr/lib/jvm/java-1.8.0-openjdk-amd64
WARNING, using JAVA_HOME while Logstash distribution comes with a bundled JDK
logstash 7.13.0

here is service status: it is green

root@monitor:/usr/share/logstash/bin# sudo service logstash status
● logstash.service - logstash
Loaded: loaded (/etc/systemd/system/logstash.service; disabled; vendor preset: enabled)
Active: active (running) since Wed 2021-05-26 14:19:14 UTC; 36s ago
Main PID: 4699 (java)
Tasks: 14 (limit: 4915)
CGroup: /system.slice/logstash.service
└─4699 /usr/share/logstash/jdk/bin/java -Xms1g -Xmx1g -XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC -XX:CMSInitiatingOccupancyFraction=75 -XX:+UseCMSInitiatingOccupancyOnly -Djava

May 26 14:19:14 monitor systemd[1]: Started logstash.
May 26 14:19:15 monitor logstash[4699]: Using bundled JDK: /usr/share/logstash/jdk
May 26 14:19:15 monitor logstash[4699]: OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM warning: Option UseConcMarkSweepGC was deprecated in version 9.0 and will likely be removed in a future

When I do netstat -ntpl I do not see port 9600 and also the PID for logstash keeps changing every (I think 30 seconds or so)

If it is constantly restarting you will need to review the logstash logs.

1 Like

I am very new to this.

Thank you very much, it looks I have a lead, please confirm if I am doing this right.

My tutor, I believe, was using an older version of Logstash and asked us to configure .yml files in conf.d folder, log file was complaining of no .conf files in the folder. I changed extension of all files to .conf and I can now see a constant PID and ports 9600 is already listening.

is that it?

I changed extension of all of them (log fil

That sounds like it is running OK.

Thank you very much for pointing towards logs!

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.