Looks like RabbitMQ output plugin does not support ACK/NACK

Our use case is as follows:

• ELK target version: 6.8.2
  • Data comes in via Logstash, where it gets parsed and enriched
  • All the data needs to go to Elasticsearch (we use the elasticsearch output plugin)
  • Some of the data needs to be sent to an external application that performs additional analysis, and for that we use the rabbitmq output to pass data to RabbitMQ
  • The external application consumes from RabbitMQ and does its thing

Other important things to consider:

• RabbitMQ queues are all limited (e.g. 100 MB), as this is an unsupervised installation
  • RabbitMQ overflow policy is set to reject-publish, as we don't want to lose any data item that has been enqueued
  • It is OK for us for RabbitMQ to put back-pressure on Logstash - in fact, this is the desired behavior: if the RabbitMQ queue is full, the whole Logstash pipeline slows down

This does not seem to be possible with the current rabbitmq output plugin, as it does not wait for ACK (or NACK, in this case) from RabbitMQ: it keeps sending data to RabbitMQ, ignoring its answers.

I see there is an ack option in the RabbitMQ input (see here); however, it doesn't seem to be anything similar in the output plugin.

I know setting this option will hurt throughput, but this is exactly our use case: we want to lower throughput when the queue is full, and enter an infinite retry loop to re-publish rejected messages.

We tried using a custom ruby filter to obtain the behavior, and we successfully did it by adding an explicit call to channel.wait_for_confirms after the call to publish().

Am I missing something? Is this a potential welcome addition to the RabbitMQ output plugin?

Thanks,
Gabriele

1 Like

Yes, but not if it disables connection recovery. See this issue.

Thank you! I did a search on Github, but I wasn't able to find anything related. I will comment on the linked issue.

For anyone reading this: the feature has been included in Logstash 6.8.4 (see here).

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.