Make a span becomes transaction

APM Agent language and version:

Description of the problem including expected versus actual behavior. Please include screenshots (if relevant):
I tried to trace a method using this: Core configuration options | APM Java Agent Reference [1.x] | Elastic
I successfully made a custom span with it, but I was wondering if I could turn that span into a transaction. The reason for this is because I would like to filter the traces based on that custom method.

This should have created a transaction unless there was already a transaction active in which case it creates a span in that transaction

I see. However, in this example: Elastic Demos
it is possible that there is a transaction existing inside another transaction, is it because it comes from a different service?

Either way, is it not possible to make the previous custom span becomes a transaction if there was already a transaction active?

The link you have there shows a trace with multiple transactions/spans across several services. A transaction is also a span, one with more information. A trace is a request that contains one or more spans/transactions, linked by a common traceID.

If a transaction is active you can add spans to it, or end it and start another transaction

Okay, if that's the case. However, is there any way for me to filter traces to only feature the ones with a certain span inside it?

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.